• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you stabilise your rifle for load testing/sighting in?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sand bags were better I think... but the plastic thing works nice.

I did make one from a scissor jack I acquired.. it was easy. But a little time and money to do a nice job.
Could have bought one when I was done.. it draws attention.

Good question though.

I've seen very few people shooting a good rest

At 300 yards from the bench to bags on the ground. The ground prone with bags cut the group in half or better.

The military videos show you.. even with the bags.. there's an old video.. it's real good. I'll try to find it

These videos are good. There's more but.. that's the one

The way they use the bags on the ground... same on the bench... basically get your hand up against it... I like a bag under my arm pit and butt stock small er one to bunch up under there. Raise lower your hold with it bunchin it up or down.

Two bags stacked in front..
Make a step.. off set them so your hand rests on the bottom bag.. then the gun into your karate chop groove top bag.

Just Make sure to take the bench that doesn't wobble around.

Just bring it to the range.. custom fill each bag.. its easyer.

Or the kitchen table works. Set it up see if you want more of less sand to each bag

Last edited:
Lol I had to snap shot the Difference.

The girl is going to shoot better than the guy i think. She could Anchor more but she's new shooter.

That rest he's using leaves your arm in the air. The better you anchor ⚓

I hate the benches lol

The seat is to low or high.. wobble. Etc etc.. like there's 2 benches out of 20 that I like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_190413_YouTube~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_190413_YouTube~2.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Frankly, I think that the more props that are used the more you get away from the "real thing". Just my opinion. Means nothing, I suppose.

Frankly, I think that the more props that are used the more you get away from the "real thing". Just my opinion. Means nothing, I suppose.

Sighing in?

Practice I like sitting and kneeling positions.

A sling allows me 100 yard accuracy off hand.. without it off hand 50 yards

But... with any position they took in the video.. you can sight your rifle from... with of course the proper trigger squeeze.

😆

When I watched the video. it helped me. I noticed it corrected a couple thing s.

Last edited:
Off hand 25 yards dead center group sight in.. it's sighted.. it's in there at 50 maybe not perfection but it's killing. Not 100.. you would adjust you high t at 50 a little windage... then 75 yard on target. So you could do a good job... it's muzzloader.. not 499 yards

Last edited:
I lucked out on one gun.. cheap traditions northwest vortek.. first shot right on at 25.. 50 was good.. 100 each shot would do it lol..

I was like the cheapest gun I've ever bought.. came sighted.

I kinda waisted my money on it.. I needed something at the time. Used it twice. It's nice though.

Last edited:
In order to remove as much human error as possible (without a lead sled), what methods do different folks use to get their rifles steady?
I made a steady rest that works well. Here is a picture that shows adjustable method.

Attachments

• IMG_0934 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0934 - Copy.JPG
    806.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0933 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0933 - Copy.JPG
    788.3 KB · Views: 0
Back