• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We, my Wife and I, usually eat grits in the winter. Mostly with butter, sharp cheddar cheese, and extra pepper. But there are many recipes in southern Louisiana that are outstanding. Shrimp & grits and Grits & Grillades are local favorites. The Grits & Grillades are made with strips of steak or roast beef, with lots of onions, bell peppers, and seasoning. Both dishes are spicy and delicious.

This is how I fix them. I also cook them with a little less water than called for and add buttermilk as they thicken up, for a little extra flavor.

Wait; you said that was a 'crappy' breakfast, BUT, you STILL eat them? Those old Army habits are hard to break!
Had SOS every morning, during Basic Training and AIT at Ft. Carson. CO. Usually cold, because during the winter in Colorado it would be 20 degrees in the mess halls. Don't know SOS? Ask anyone that was ever in the 'old' Army. Tried grits once. Except where I grew up, in Oklahoma, it was called cornmeal mush. Still NASTY, though.

Had SOS every morning, during Basic Training and AIT at Ft. Carson. CO. Usually cold, because during the winter in Colorado it would be 20 degrees in the mess halls. Don't know SOS? Ask anyone that was ever in the 'old' Army. Tried grits once. Except where I grew up, in Oklahoma, it was called cornmeal mush. Still NASTY, though.
Maybe you were picky the first time through a mess hall breakfast line. But never again. By means of a mistake, I learned to like chocolate milk on Wheaties.

Maybe you were picky the first time through a mess hall breakfast line. But never again. By means of a mistake, I learned to like chocolate milk on Wheaties. Bottle of hot sauce on the table cured your selection errors. To the extent you had any selection.
Breakfast out of your mess kit in the field was often better than in the mess hall. And it was not the ambience. Maybe the cooks were more respectful of us when we had rifles.

Yep nothing like a can of C-RATS at 0 dark thirty in the morning. We were issued mess kits but never used them. Never seen a cook in the field during my eight years in the Corps. When in the rear I actually liked SOS. On the other hand, when being taxied to destinations un-know by the Navy we usually had a shall we say decent breakfast. Best hope the grits were stiff if stormy seas.

Maybe you were picky the first time through a mess hall breakfast line. But never again. By means of a mistake, I learned to like chocolate milk on Wheaties.
Not picky. Grew up in rural Oklahoma, where you ate what was placed before you. But SOS frozen to your tray because Ft. Carson relied on steam heat and it unreliable at the best of times. 'Swallow now, chew later, there's men waiting for chow!' Was the Mess Sgts. & DI's mantra.

Dad was a navy veteran with 6 kids. if he was cooking dinner it was SOS

I make jerky out of all edible parts. I've always heard some parts can't be made into good jerky, but I'm here to tell you it definitely can. My only two additives are salt and a good soak in Sweet Baby James bbq sauce.

For me, NO sweet grits. Salt, pepper and enough butter to turn it yellow. Really good when you make extra, put them in a bread pan in fridge and next morning, slice and fry.
Also good with chives. And soft eggs where the yolk is soft enough to mix all together.
The sweet part needs to be tea (iced tea that is). Needs to be sweet enough to stand the spoon up in the glass.
David

Back