• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Ramrod questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies. It is very informative and I quickly found my mistake and put the spring back into the screw.
What I want to do now is pin it as I don't want to have to worry about this in the future, I like working on projects, AND I like a challenge. So my question now do I really need to drill a hole all the way through from one side to the other to insert a brass pin or can I just drill through one side and halfway into the stock on the other inside of the stock so I would only have 1 hole showing?
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies. It is very informative and I quickly found my mistake and put the spring back into the screw.
What I want to do now is pin it as I don't want to have to worry about this in the future, I like working on projects, AND I like a challenge. So my question now do I really need to drill a hole all the way through from one side to the other to insert a brass pin or can I just drill through one side and halfway into the stock on the other inside of the stock so I would only have 1 hole showing?
Thanks again.
I would drill the hole all the way through the stock, otherwise you have a blind hole and no easy way to remove the pin if you ever want or need to (say the spring breaks and needs replacing). And as far as pins in stocks, they are very traditional, holding things like trigger guards, ramrod pipes and the barrel to the stock.

It has been a while since I pinned one of these springs on a CVA/Traditions, but I’m pretty sure I used a piece of a 16-penny nail for the pin. It was about the same diameter as the lock screw, which I remember being a little less than 4mm diameter. Carefully drill the hole so as not to create any splinters and chamfer the pin on both ends after you cut it at least .020” shorter than the width of the stock wood so both ends of the pin are just below the surface of the wood when it’s installed.

My Traditions needed no repair and works flawlessly. It was my inexperience that caused the problem and my modification is strictly something I want to do for the fun of it, not needed to do.

Sometimes that spring will hang up on the brass ramrod tip. It's easy enough to take a little bend out of the spring.
Just make sure the arc of the spring is facing up.

Latest posts

Back