• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Deadly is a Flintlock Rifle…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redundant. History has already answered the Question.
True, historically, but myth plays apart of our lives. Doing events we run in to all sorts of ignorance about everything eighteenth century
Not long ago I saw a you tube video that described cap and ball revolver as almost harmless shooting just a lead pea that could bounce off thick clothing

I bet some of you guys are real fun at parties. :rolleyes:

200.gif

Saw it a few months ago, like it or not if it's not a a little "goofy" or "over the top" it won't get any interest especially from the under 30 crowd. You guys want this hobby to expand and continue after us old farts are gone ? Then you need to accept this is how to catch the attention of younger shooters.

How many 20 somethings that shoot Glocks and AR15's saw this and it peaked their interest and may get drawn into the hobby ? Now how many in that group watched a 30 minute video of a 70 year old man in a slouch hat firing round balls at a log, speaking about swamped barrels in a monotone voice firing one shot every 7 minutes ? Now blow out your oil lamps and go to bed.

I made it about 1/2 way through. Wonder how man ramrods they went through making this? IF they had a guy from this forum helping out would have been much more watchable, they were pretty silly loading etc. How many of us have a guy there to prime the pan for us LOL. Ya, they were as deadly as they needed to be. Remember they had no trauma centers or life lights back in the day. Yer hit yer dead, or crippled physically and mentally for life. We still shoot elk, moose and grizzly bear (for the bravest of us, NOT ME) so I think we know how deadly a flintlock rifle can be.

Ditto, I wasnt sure whether they were intentionally clowning about , or simply were Clowns.

Last edited:
Doesn't ever end, does it?

'Brit-hating' - the game that never stops giving.

Agreed, dont denigrate the poor Brit Soldier who just did his Duty, focus on the shite successive Brit govts since WW2 thats deployed their Troops in pointless conflicts.

As a retired Australian Army Veteran I can testitfiy to the fact that they don't come much better than the Brit combat Troops.

I thought it was funny and entertaining. Totally agree that it will open up some eyes to how great this lifestyle is. The sister in college thing has me chuckling too.

Agreed, dont denigrate the poor Brit Soldier who just did his Duty, focus on the shite successive Brit govts since WW2 thats deployed their Troops in pointless conflicts.

As a retired Australian Army Veteran I can testitfiy to the fact that they don't come much better than the Brit combat Troops.

As a retired soldier and ossifer in the British Army, I can only agree 100%. I've had the privilege of serving with Australian and New Zealand personnel and a better bunch of blokes would be hard to find.

Doesn't ever end, does it?

'Brit-hating' - the game that never stops giving.
My kid calls the British "The Oldest Enemy".
I served with the British Navy and Australian Royal Marines. Basically just like us. No animosity whatsoever, but quite a bit of back and forth. Nobody gets a pass. Not the spawn rum and buggery, nor the descendants of convicted criminals.

At the D-Day celebration in 1994 in Torquey England I was challenged to a drinking contest by a huge RAM. I knew that it would ruin my night and I would be carried home in utter defeat, so I convinced him that real men didn't challenge each other in getting drunk, but in who could shoot the most hot sauce. The looks on all their faces was priceless as I banged out the whole bottle into two glasses. Yes, I'm the hero of this story. Needless to say I won in a single shot, and he ran out the front door holding back the contents of his stomach. We proceeded to drink all night with them at a more stately speed.

As a retired soldier and ossifer in the British Army, I can only agree 100%. I've had the privilege of serving with Australian and New Zealand personnel and a better bunch of blokes would be hard to find.

It’s all meant in good fun… When I was a fresh butterbar going thru Armor BOLC we had a British Officer at the school house with us teaching. I don’t remember his name but he was a good dude and he really knew his stuff when it came to tactics and planning. That said, no one missed an opportunity to throw in a dig at him over the Revolutionary War. We even got a Singaporean Officer who was going thru the class with us to join in and he managed to make references to the Brits getting whooped in the Revolution during every Operations Order he briefed. The British Officer usually smiled and took in good stride… And then he’d drop a strategically placed reference to burning down Washington in the War of 1812.

Like I said, all in good fun…

My kid calls the British "The Oldest Enemy".
I served with the British Navy and Australian Royal Marines. Basically just like us. No animosity whatsoever, but quite a bit of back and forth. Nobody gets a pass. Not the spawn rum and buggery, nor the descendants of convicted criminals.

At the D-Day celebration in 1994 in Torquey England I was challenged to a drinking contest by a huge RAM. I knew that it would ruin my night and I would be carried home in utter defeat, so I convinced him that real men didn't challenge each other in getting drunk, but in who could shoot the most hot sauce. The looks on all their faces was priceless as I banged out the whole bottle into two glasses. Yes, I'm the hero of this story. Needless to say I won in a single shot, and he ran out the front door holding back the contents of his stomach. We proceeded to drink all night with them at a more stately speed.
Theres no such "Australian Royal Marines" , never has been and probably never will be.
Our Australian Defence Force (ADF) doesn't even have "Marines" as such.

It’s all meant in good fun… When I was a fresh butterbar going thru Armor BOLC we had a British Officer at the school house with us teaching. I don’t remember his name but he was a good dude and he really knew his stuff when it came to tactics and planning. That said, no one missed an opportunity to throw in a dig at him over the Revolutionary War. We even got a Singaporean Officer who was going thru the class with us to join in and he managed to make references to the Brits getting whooped in the Revolution during every Operations Order he briefed. The British Officer usually smiled and took in good stride… And then he’d drop a strategically placed reference to burning down Washington in the War of 1812.

Like I said, all in good fun…

IME the Brit officers were generally a good species, some of them actually put on "the eccentric officer" bit to lighten things up.

I remember one, then a Gurkha Captain on a 2 year exchange who was posted to our Battalion Mortar platoon. On his first day he marched the platoon up to the 25 metre firing range, sat them around him while he read " Winnie the Pooh" to them and showed the pictures !
The boys were pissing themselves and actually warmed to him, he was a very good professional officer and fitted in with our Aussie troops well.

Back