• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How BIG...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwildey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sitting here pondering a CVA hawken with a 1" on the flats barrel. I already have several .50's and was thinking of having this one freshened out. How big can I go with this barrel and anybody know who could do it? Thinking .58 or .62 shouldn't be a problem, but would like bigger (bigger as in rifled 12 bore).

Bobby Hoyt can do it & does a wonderful job. He could tell you how large of bore you could go with it.

Most won't go over .62 in a 1" barrel. It could cost a bit to get a barrel re-bored and rifled. It would need re-breeching as well because the bore would be approaching the size of the breech threads. That might require a custom breechplug (welding a new plug on your tang). And it definitely needs a custom breeching job to get a good seal and line everything up so the tang is indexed to the flat with the sights.

Back