• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How about a Carolina Gun slide show?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the particulars for now, still on the run.
47 1/4" 20ga, Getz barrel. RE Davis lock. All the brass is home made except for the pipes. English walnut stock. 13 3/8" trigger pull. weight is 6 lbs and 3 oz. There will be a Carolina rear sight on it too, but the foundry doesn't have them cast yet....
More tomorrow. :snore:

This is the gun that was called the "Carolina Gun" in the 18th century. It was primarily intended for the Indian trade, but I suppose anyone with the cash could buy one. Archeological evidence of these are found all over the south west and south in general. they are very rare in the Great lakes region where the North West gun was king. The Carolina gun and the NW gun existed at the same time, but were traded from different areas and got their names from their points of origin. They are nearly identical guns with only minor differences in the furniture. Same barrels and locks. I believe the NW gun may have been a slightly less expensive gun to produce..
There are some slight variations of the carolina guns in their furniture, mostly in the details of their finials. Otherwise the existed from probably 1720 or so through probably the 1770's with very little change. Barrel lengths were probably the same as the NW guns varying between 36" to 48". The longer barreled guns were most common early on.
I built my first one of these clear back in 1988, it was my 18th gun. I never built another untill this one and it's numbered 262. The Carolina gun has always been fascinating to me, I can't believe it took me nearly 20 years to build another! :shake:
Any questions or comments, please feel free.
I might add, that both the Carolina Gun and the NW Gun were made in England and exported to the colonies.

I can't document it , but I suspect a lot of this type of Indian guns were used by whites on the frontier .
It is a practical hunting weapon . People living on the edge will use what ever tool they can get .

Mike Brooks said:
This is the gun that was called the "Carolina Gun" in the 18th century. It was primarily intended for the Indian trade, but I suppose anyone with the cash could buy one. Archeological evidence of these are found all over the south west and south in general. they are very rare in the Great lakes region where the North West gun was king. The Carolina gun and the NW gun existed at the same time, but were traded from different areas and got their names from their points of origin. They are nearly identical guns with only minor differences in the furniture. Same barrels and locks. I believe the NW gun may have been a slightly less expensive gun to produce..
There are some slight variations of the carolina guns in their furniture, mostly in the details of their finials. Otherwise the existed from probably 1720 or so through probably the 1770's with very little change. Barrel lengths were probably the same as the NW guns varying between 36" to 48". The longer barreled guns were most common early on.
I built my first one of these clear back in 1988, it was my 18th gun. I never built another untill this one and it's numbered 262. The Carolina gun has always been fascinating to me, I can't believe it took me nearly 20 years to build another! :shake:
Any questions or comments, please feel free.
I might add, that both the Carolina Gun and the NW Gun were made in England and exported to the colonies.

Mike, that's a great looking gun you just posted and I look foward to seeing another kit on it. We sorely need one in the South.I agree with your text with one exception.I believe that the Northwest gun and the Carolina gun got their names from their point of destination not origin.As to the Carolina gun, Lee Burke turned up that estate record from mid 18th century Viginia wherein the estate inventory of a deceased merchant listed a number of "Carolina" guns and their value.There was another reference from England which mentioned "Carolina" guns which is later but reinforces the earlier cite.

Again I really like that gun and look foward to seeing more especially the painted ones, maybe blue like the Williamsburg guns taken by Americans on the eve of the Revolution.
Tom Patton

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Nice Mike, that should be your next kit offering!

Actually, it is! I'm offering one with a 42" barrel too that has easy barrel availability. This gun with it's 47 1/4" barrel will only be available as I get barrels or as a pre order arraingement. I may have several new souces for 47 1/4" barrels for this gun, we'll just have to see how it works out.
This gun is the first one made off of my kit. I'm doing some glass bedding work on the pattern for the 42" kit today.

Okwaho said:
Mike, that's a great looking gun you just posted and I look foward to seeing another kit on it. We sorely need one in the South.I agree with your text with one exception.I believe that the Northwest gun and the Carolina gun got their names from their point of destination not origin.As to the Carolina gun, Lee Burke turned up that estate record from mid 18th century Viginia wherein the estate inventory of a deceased merchant listed a number of "Carolina" guns and their value.There was another reference from England which mentioned "Carolina" guns which is later but reinforces the earlier cite.

Again I really like that gun and look foward to seeing more especially the painted ones, maybe blue like the Williamsburg guns taken by Americans on the eve of the Revolution.
Tom Patton
Tom, I believe we're both right, both point of dispersal/use and destination......ah well, you get my drift.. :haha:

You know, we both have one MAJOR problem:

It's hard as Hell to be humble when you are infallible and also a sex symbol.
The Happy Heretic :bow: :v

Carteret Kid said:
I can't document it , but I suspect a lot of this type of Indian guns were used by whites on the frontier .
It is a practical hunting weapon . People living on the edge will use what ever tool they can get .

You just answered your question. The Carolina gun also referred to by T M Hamilton and ALL the vendors as a Type G was a cheap lightweight English fowler.They were made by any number of makers and sold to all sorts of merchants and traders although at first the British Board of Ordnance bought some for gifts to Indians.The Board bought some 20,000+ guns about 1812 to influence the Indians to fight with the British in the War of 1812.The war was virtually over before they were able to do much with the Indians. I'm not really sure what happened to all those guns.Traders and merchants were also buying these guns for sale to those who couldn't afford to buy the top of the line British fowlers which were the best available and pretty much had the market cornered especially the more affluent such as the planter class.It wasn't till after about the mid 1770's that fowlers began to become popular in America.
Tom Patton

Back