• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How About a Beginners FAQ posting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunka

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks-
I've noticed a sudden rise in new folks wondering how to get started. This is a great place for them to come, as there are many fine folk here with a incredible amount of knowledge.

How about we get the moderator to "pin" a few Read Only permanent posts right at the top on frequently asked topics, and colaborate on building them such as:

"first firelock"
"rifles and smoothbores we like"
"makers we like"
"what you need to get started"
"how to load your new firelock"
"how to care for your new firelock"

etc, etc.
and make liberal use of the links in the "Muzzleloading Links" section.

just my 2 cents
best
shunka

Damn, that's a great idea!!! I wish I'd thought of it! :boohoo: This is the most sensible idea anybody on the Forum has had in a long time. I know none of us mind helping out a newbie, or directing him/her to previous posts that are relevant to their questions, but if we had a Newbie FAQ it would save us all alot of time digging up old posts and such. Flintlock Basics, Percussion Basics, Blackpowder Cleaning Methods, Basic Necessary Accoutrements, etc. would all be great headings for such a section. No FAQ can be comprehensive enough to cover every possible question, but we could at least supply new folks with some basic info! I think this idea should be given serious consideration! :thumbsup:

Had #1 and 4 to 6 covered in the links section under "Tips and Techniques", but it got discombobulated and is now gone.

It's kind of rewarding to remember having answered a question and see some of the original askers turn around and answer the next few waves of similar questions. If it was really a problem, a simple "Search" will produce pages of threads where it has been covered.

I have also picked up some insights on techniques I thought I had down pat from some of the new responses to old questions.

Maybe as a test I'll pull together a tackie, or is it stickie(?), on cleaning and see how it works out.

Thank you kindly ... Perhaps the stickies could be considered as "living documents" subject to additions and modifications by folks as we all progress on this trail?

Charlie you are a gentleman and a scholar, and I truly hope The Creator grants you that shot!

best
shunka

As a beginner, I would be happy to host it on the web and make additions to it, if there is a problem with material not remaining on this forum. That way all new people could be directed to a url to answer basic questions.

Knapper

Back