• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hornady round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Barrel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought a couple of boxes of 54 cal. Hornady round balls. When I opened the box I noticed that the balls were real bright and shiny when all the balls I bought in the past were like a dull grey ? Just wondering what you guys might think this could be from. I was thinking that maybe the bright and shiny ones might not be of pure lead and possibly might have a little alloy in them. What do you think ?

2Barrel said:
Hi all. I just bought a couple of boxes of 54 cal. Hornady round balls. When I opened the box I noticed that the balls were real bright and shiny when all the balls I bought in the past were like a dull grey ? Just wondering what you guys might think this could be from. I was thinking that maybe the bright and shiny ones might not be of pure lead and possibly might have a little alloy in them. What do you think ?
They're all usually bright and shiny when new...then as air gets to them over time they start to turn color, sometimes getting a white surface film on them, etc...which incidentally doesn't hurt a thing...can easily be rinsed off with a couple sprays of WD40 and rolled around on an old towel.

Sounds like the ones you've bought in the past were some old stock, while the ones you just bought are relatively new...enjoy.

If the balls are kept VERY Dry, they will remain shiny for a long time, but most are exposed to ambient air temperatures and humidity, and will eventually darken, and then frost. If you spray the balls in the box with a good spray oil, the oil will coat the balls, and keep them from oxidizing. The balls will turn black from combining with the oil, but they will stay clean, and are eminently usable. :thumbsup:

I shoot the Hornady .50 cal round ball. Yep, bright and shiny. Each box I buy ditto. Hornady
produces high end ($$) ammo, I can't believe
they are slipping in some alloy trying to cut a
corner. They deserve their rep for fine ammo. As it ages it gets abit dull -- ha, but not me!!!

.02 David

Thanks for the replys. That does make sence. The balls that were grey were just in a box with no sealed bag around them so i guess they were exposed to air. The shiny balls were in a sealed bag in the box.

Back