• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mudd turtle,
You might want to try a stockyares
some times they will let you have
them for free, or a farmer that
dehorns his cattle.
TAC2 :thumbsup:

Swampman said:
A Lee Larkin horn for $145.00 is really worth the money in my opinion.

I just saw one of Lee's horns sold on the Contemporary Longrifles website at $800.00 If you can buy one from him for $145.00, you better get it. That is one heck of a bargain. I've known Lee for many years, excellant horner.

I just bought one directly from him for $145.00. It didn't have any scratching on it, but then I don't like decorated horns much.

I've gotten many very good horns off ebay. I've used them for powder horns AND calling horns.

About 5 miles from my house is the "Bull Gap" exit of the Blue Ridge Pkway...the name commemorates the spot where the last Bull Buffalo was killed here in this part of Western NC...the date given is 1790...that's from a Pkway brochure, but the government wouldn't lie...would it? Hank

It's unmarked, but I called him on the phone and sent him the money. His plain horns are very reasonable.

True, Spanish explorers discribed buffalo they encountered in Florida in early 1500's, and someone drew a rather comical picture of one. I expect the artist never saw it but was working from a verbal discription.
I don't believe the "woodland buffalo" is the same thing as the "woods bison", some of which are preserved in Canada. The Woods bison is smaller than the plains bison but it seems I've heard that the "Woodland buffalo" was larger.
I've always been amazed when Hawken rifle buffs speak of how the mountainmen found their Ky. rifles inadequate for the bigger game west of the Mississippi. What do they reckon had killed all the buffalo and elk EAST of the river? Admittedly the plains and mountains offered more long range shots but the critters, except griz, were the same. I seem to recall that the last buffalo killed in Ohio was about 1814 or so.
What the heck, do people think that towns like Buffalo NY and Elk Grove IL were named for critters never know in those parts of the country? :haha:

Actually, those wood bison, and buffalo were pretty well wiped out by French " Voyageures" before Englishmen settled into the country. They used large bore muskets like the Charleville to kill game, and not the smaller caliber " Long rifles" that became popular among the English hunters in the late 18th century. The comments about the long rifles being too light to adequately kill the larger game west of the Mississippi came from many quarters, including mountain men who traded those guns for Heavy barreled, " Hawken " rifles, that could stand large powder charges and conical bullets, when needed. As we all know here, the .54 cal RB is far more efficient at killing large game than smaller calibers.

I was under the impression that the buffalo East of the Mississippi were Wood Bison. Then I read Ted Beleu's "The Long Hunt; Death of the buffalo East of the Mississippi" Mr Beleu said that the Buffalo in the East are the same genius as the Plains buffalo. Thw Woods Bison are a Canadian subspecies. Working at a major Mid West university and an excellent School of Natural Resources I took the opportunity to talk to a couple of professors of Wildlife Biology. They both said Mr Beleu was correct, there was no difference between buffalo found here and the plains buffalo. The Woods Bison are from Mid- Western to Western Canada and the small remaining population of Woods Bison were accidentally mixed with a heard of common plains bison back in the early 20th century so that pure bred Woods Bison are almost non-existant.
So I guess we can take that for what it's worth.

Regards, Dave

paulvallandigham said:
Actually, those wood bison, and buffalo were pretty well wiped out by French " Voyageures" before Englishmen settled into the country. They used large bore muskets like the Charleville to kill game, and not the smaller caliber " Long rifles" that became popular among the English hunters in the late 18th century. /quote]

Paul,

Where do you get these ideas??????

Randy Hedden

I live near Braddock Road in Northern Virginia. That's short for General Braddock's Road and is said to have been his path of retreat during the French and Indian wars. Prior to that it was a buffalo trail. Apparently, buffalo were pretty good highway engineers, 'cause we is still using many of their trails today, although Gen'l B isn't. (Now, they say he buried a cannon filled with gold pay for his troops somewhere off that road. That would buy a lot of powder horns!) :thumbsup:

In histories I have read on the Illinois country many years ago when I was earning a degree in American History. I haven't looked at those sources in over 30 years, but they were based on translations of French records and letters. One of the History Professors at the U of Ill. went to France and found many previously unknown sources, journals, letters, and other documents, obviously written in French, that refer to events in Illinois when it was controlled by the French.

"Actually, those wood bison, and buffalo were pretty well wiped out by French " Voyageures" before Englishmen settled into the country. They used large bore muskets like the Charleville to kill game, and not the smaller caliber " Long rifles" that became popular among the English hunters in the late 18th century."

:rotf:

Back