• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn tips for fowler ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not real hard to make, take a chunk of horn, antler or ebony wood larger than rod. Drill a hole in tip material, that corresponds to a step down on rod end about 5/8" to 3/4" deep. Glue it on with some good epoxy, If you have a belt sander or disk sander slowly turn tip to your liking. Then cross drill tip for a brass or steel pin (nail) 1/16" or so glue it in as well. Here's a quick drawing. There you go. ....Tom

Thanks, Tom! Looks like a fairly easy job. I'd like to find a piece of light-colored horn, to match the horn nose-cap on my original fowler:

Tom Knight said:
I usually just buy a horn with the color I need & cut it up...Tom

I'll be at an event this weekend (Johnson Hall) and should be able to dig through some raw horns there. Thanks!

I've made several out of antler and they do look good and work for seating prb. The main downside is that antler is brittle and will break if mistreated.

here is one i done with a ramrod for a pistol. I just drilled a hole in the ramrod and deer horn and put a short piece of steel rod in it.

antler is brittle and will break if mistreated

I had to think on that comment a while before replying.
I simply cannot agree. Now anything can get damaged with mistreatment.
But, antler is tough stuff and very hard to damage. I have made many short starter handles from it and they often get banged on with wood, brass and other material mallets.
Flint knappers use antler to break rock. :shocked2:
I make a lot of items from antler and they take considerable abuse. A ram rod jag tip should last nearly indefinately, even with frequent use.
Antler is used for making bows and/or backing on wood bows. It has flex and is tough, not brittle.
I have two knives I handled with antler about 1946 and they look today like they did then.
I could go on.
Sorry, Hanshi, today on that point yer opinion is :td:
BTW: :v

The one for my fowler, a very nice one, broke when I let it drop on a concrete floor at the range. In their normal guise, they are tough; but remember they are dead bone and a lot like hard plastic when worked. :slap:

Latest posts

Back