• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at add for the book, "Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn" and on one of the pictures showed filing and shaping. Then it has this dark brown finish. I have a plane looking horn that could use some color! Dark brown would be nice, how do I do it? Or can I?

Thanks,
BS

Use a light application of Frebigs (from Tandy leather) mediun brown leather stain. I have also heard (but have not tried) womens hair dye, after all horn is basicly hair.

Go to one of those garden stores that sells stufff for ponds. Pick up some potassium permaganate. Boil water and disolve as much into it as it will take. Then brush on where you want the brown. It colors nicely.

Your welcome BS. I haven't actually tried this method yet, but one of the best horn makers I know swears by it. He was just explaining it to me last weekend. Told me it will take a few coats, but you just swab it on.

Latest posts

Back