• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hominy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read you can make home made hominy by just simmering dried sweet corn until the husks begin to come off, then cool n rub the kernels together to get all of them loose n off the corm of the kernel. My question is , about how long do ya need to simmer the kernels to begin with? This is supposedly another way of doing it without the use of lye . thanks YMHS Birdman

Birdman there are several ways to make hominy without the use of lye...
Boiled Soda Method
For each to gallons of shelled corn use 1/3c baking soda and 1 gallon water. cover your corn by at least 2 inches water they will swell. Use a large pot (not aluminum) and boil hard for about 2 hours until the hulls slip. make sure corn stays covered.. you may need to add some water.

Unboiled soda method
in a crock or good quality plastic an put corn to soak in soda water.
Use 4 Level Tablespoons baking soda per 1 gallon of water.
Keep coverd in a cool place. Check daily to see if the hulls are ready to come off. It will usually take more then a week. when hulls are loosened rinse under plenty of running water.

Lime Hominy
Dissolve 2 heaping Tablespoons powdered lime in 4 quarts water. Add 2 quarts corn. Sti. Set on low heat. Cook until hulls loosen. Drain and rinse with cold water several times...

Hope this helps.. this information was gleaned from the "encyclopedia of country living" by Carla Emery.:> I am interested in making Masa flour so I have been studying this some but have not tried it yet...

hmmm maybe an oxide in common,
sodium hydroxide
Calcium oxide
and then of course the sodium bicarbonate, :rotf: :blah: I wonder if Potassium hydroxide would work?

Bookie dont even try bamboozling that very nice wife of yours....she must have the patients of a saint. Specially with you proposen marriage to them gals all the time.. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Been awhile Bookie its good to see you..

Anyway nuff of that foolin around stuff.. I went down to the local grist mill and bought some corn and am going to give it a try... not sure which method to do first...might try the lye one beins I have so much of that stuff hangin around here..anyway ought to be interesting..

Just look her in the eye, speak with authority, use a few big wods and try not to blink too much.

Yup I think yur wife has yur number to :winking: :rotf:

Ok todays the day Im going to try this out.. I have some time. Here is what I did so far... I sorted the corn, you dont want broken pieces.. and put it in a stainless steel pan, I covered it with 1/3 cup baking soda and 1 gallon water and brought it to a boil, the cool thing is the corn has turned a bright orange. It has to cook now for about 2 hours until the hulls slip then be rinsed several times...

I cooked the corn for about 2 hours, I could see the hulls loosening. The corn is still hard at this point so I washed it hard.. which means I was rubbing it between my hands to get the hulls off of the corn, then I rinsed and rinsed.. finally I took it outside and just let water run into the pan while I stirred it with my hand.. the hulls washed out over the edge of the pot.. I then filled the pot with fresh water and cooked it for about 2 more hours, at this time, a person could add salt if they wished, during this cooking the corn swelled quite a bit.. at about two hours it was nice and chewy, I drained it again and put it in the dehydrator, my goal is to make Masa flour and then from that tamales. I should be able to grind it tomorrow..

Back