• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmaser

40 Cal.
Reaction score
locks.jpg
locks2.jpg

Having been recently called a fool and an idiot on this forum because I dont read the "how to" books, temper springs in an oven or use rake tines, exclusively, for forging springs, I feel compelled to share how I do it, anyway. These locks were hand made on a coal forge, entirely, from a piece of truck spring. (also shown in photo). Hardening and tempering were done at the forge with a bucket of water and a shovelfull of sand. The very small lock was used to build a child's rifle with a hand made .36 cal barrel and stocked in curled maple, cut from a tree found by an old farmhouse. The brass furniture was also hand made. The little rifle is only 41" overall length. The large lock is still being built. Pardon the phillips head screws. They are just temporary. Total cost for both: $0.00.
I'm not much of an artist and I don't call myself master of anything but I'm a pretty good mechanic. I've built dozens of rifles, pistols and muskets, and those for whom I've built have always been pleased. Incidently, I tried the suggested spider legs and chants but they don't seem to make any difference.

My motto: Do what you want to do.
Looks real nice, wish the pics were a little bigger, kinda hard to see.
I apologize for your bad experience.

I would not worry alot about it, as a matter of fact I wouldn't give it a second thought. A large majority of the "builders" on this site are just echoing typical rhetoric and have no real experience in the art. If an individual reads enough educated posts, that individual can sound educated in the subject without having any real experience. "I read a book once, now I is a genius."

I pay them no mind and don't really care if they understand or not, ignorance is their problem not mine. :hmm:

Nice looking locks by the way, would like to see some better pictures though.

Looks to be fine craftmanship to me. Way beyond my meager abilities.

:hmm:If you're a fool and a idiot, I'm afeared of what "they" must think of me. :shocked2: :idunno: , cause you're out of(above) my league. :bow:
The only critique I have is you need to direct some of your talents toward photography, cause it sucks. :rotf: :v

Sorry about the photos. all I have is my cell phone to take pictures with.

I certainly have no problem with your forging techniques or materials. :wink:

Some people think I'm crazy for doing things the way I do them.

If it works, works safely, and is correct (or close) who cares what anyone else thinks. Wish I had your skills.

Good for you. Everybody should do this at least two or three times. Then they can call themselves gunmakers. I have built at least three guns the same way. It's a form of insanity.
Who cares what anybody else thinks. Not me.

I might add, before anyone begins cutting up their truck springs, that it is very difficult to anneal them. they tend to remain very hard, so when you drill holes for tapping use the next larger size bit or you will break taps. You won't get as deep a thread but as hard as the steel is it will be sufficient. Even with the larger hole, use your tap very gently. You might be better off using a milder steel for the plate.

Truck springs are darn hard to forge also. I made my hammers out of RR spikes. The springs were usually made from hayrake teeth or lawnmower blades.

I absolutly love it when someone takes some scrap and turns it into a work of art. Maybe someday I'll be able to do what you have done.People cant beleive some of the parts I have built from odd pieces of scrap metal for modern guns.I did it because I was po' and do it now cause I really enjoy building a part from "scratch".Fine work my friend.

As an old time machinist I can tell you you don't have to drill oversized tap drill holes. Just coat your taps with a mixture of white lead and kerosene equal amounts. I used this mixture when working at North American Rockwell to tap swedged stainless steel parts that none of the "young wippersnappers " could tap with out breaking the taps even using twenty five thousands oversized drills. on 1/4 inch taps. :idunno:

We used white lead and tallow, mixed, for "slushing down" running rigging aboard ship

That's something I've never heard before. If I could find this white lead, how would it be applied? What form does it come in? liquid? paste? That sure would save a lot of aggravation. After reading how it is made, I wonder, is that the white powder that sometimes forms on a car battery's terminals?

I think the last time I saw some was back in the 1950's.

I am 64 and I remember my grandpa using it but I haven't even thought about it for years and years.

Back