• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hit with the (under)Hammer of Thor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsurveyor

36 Cal.
Reaction score

Gun likes them sized at 0.451, and at a 22 twist, I may have been on the light end of what it can handle, but a 280gr SAA Colt bullet, 85gr of FFFg, and a brisk Saturday morning combined to drop this wonky antlered stud.

What should I make from this undergotten booty?

22fowl said:
What's your shooting load?

in the OP:

280gr all lead SAA sized at 0.451, 85gr of FFFg

I'm going to try and find a 400gr+ bullet this summer to see how it shoots.

nice gun!!! did you build it? i have been thinking of building an underhammer for squirrel hunting

This one I did not, it was a consignment rescue.

I have a slow twist 45 barrel for it that I did the work on.

I also have a 54 that I built. It's black walnut from the farm here, an Allen foundary universal action, and a Colerain barrel.

Here is the current battery. The 54 is on the bottom:

Just got Milna,H/A,U/H, cleaned and reassembled and see movement out the window.Two deer standing in the garden 50' away eating my Swiss Chard working their way to the Kale..We also got 8" of fresh powder for snow today,started last night at sunset and snowed all night/ day..Perfect,deer season closed last Saturday...
Very nice deer you got there,,only one's I see this year were hiding in pick up truck beds,playing dead..
Antlers powder measures or Knife handles. That little nub is just asking to be carved into an animal/bird of one kind or another,and where your fingers are the powder measure.

Congratulations. I own an underhammer that I bought over 50 years ago. It took deer, bobcat and squirrel. The flat spring is dead so it's now just a wall hanger. My friend, here, takes care of it for me. Underhammers are cool and do the job, as your post shows.

The original owner had it set up for optics, but I've been toying with a few ideas to put a long strap peep sight on it utilizing the scope mount holes.

Need to do something to accommodate my farsightedness and the limits of the sight radius on that particular barrel.

The short length makes it easy to carry, despite the weight.

Back