• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Nice Morning Walk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete

40 Cal
Reaction score
So,last night,I decided to fling a local vineyard owner if I could go hunting at his block this morning ( incidentally I helped plant the block over 20 years ago ) as my fiancé was heading up to town to pick her kids up for the weekend and I was free for the morning 😁
Well,I never received an answer till after I waved goodbye to her this morning at 7am,at which point I checked my phone and lo and behold I'd been sent a 👍. Lol.
So I got my stuff together,grabbed the Seneca,and trundled out to the block. It had been raining overnight but the early morning had been clear so temperatures had dropped,then cloud cover came over with the sunrise so it was quite chilly.
Arriving at the block,I went through the routine of running a cleaning patch down the bore,then capping off. I loaded a .350 prb with beeswax/olive oil lube over 60gn of 2f ( I KNOW! Way too much! But its what the gun likes! 😊) and set off,unfortunately with the wind at my back as there's only one way to enter the block 🤷‍♂️.
Had a bit of a whistle on the edge of a really nice gully system that I used to hunt before the vineyard sold it off,to no avail. So I meandered along the edge of the vineyard looking down the rows,hoping to see something interesting but not expecting much. Lo and behold though,I spotted a "lump" in the row about 100m off,that just didn't look QUITE right. So I carefully stalked in towards it ( with the bloody wind at my back and canes cracking underfoot! ) until at around 40m it lifted its head and I determined that it was indeed a fox ! I lined it up,set the trigger,and touched the shot off,only to have a delayed ignition and a flinch and missed the fox completely! To rub salt in the wound,he jumped about 2m then stood there looking at me standing there with an empty rifle for a good minute before trotting off. Ah well 🤷‍♂️😁.
Reloading the rifle from my fox face bullet block,I set off again,this time for a steep,wooded hillside that overlooks a lovely river flat where I often fish with my atlatl. Finding a nice big old gum tree with a broken branch to sit in front of,I started whistling. Only interest I had for a good 15 minutes were some crows coming in to see what the fuss was about. Then all the sudden I spot it,a nice big old dog fox,coming out of the tall grass along the river and trotting across the flat straight towards me,fully locked on to my position. My heart started pounding,even after shooting scores of foxes I still get excited. I stopped whistling as soon as he showed,but he still kept straight on. As he got within 30m I very slowly eased the Seneca to my cheek,squinted down the sights,drew an bead on his nose,and BOOM,the shot went off almost unexpectedly and he collapses like he was hit with the hammer of Thor ! Not a twitch. After a minute or so of sitting there composing myself,I wandered down for a look. The ball had missed slightly left,skun down his cheek and entered his chest. Instant lights out.
Then came the chore of skinning him out with a knife completely unsuited to the task,and the walk back to the ute. What an awesome fox and an awesome morning !

Attachments

• 20220528_105755.jpg
    20220528_105755.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 138
He didn't say the fox was standing up looking at him but that it stood there and looked at him. Why is that so hard to believe? Great story and picture by the way. The hunting section is kind of slow this time of year so thanks for giving us something to enjoy. Nice job on the fox sounds like an exiting hunt. 👍
If you take another look at the first Paragraph the fox was 40yards away just showing its head ,on firing a delayed shot at the fox it jump into the air and stood looking at him for a minute that is something you would say to a bunch of young boys not experience hunters or shooters when he fired that delayed shot that fox would have jump and be 20 yards away before the smoke cleared from a flintlock pan ,Lets be real and not ruin a thread that could be interesting
Feltwad

,Lets be real and not ruin a thread that could be interesting.
I preferred when it was friendly.

Bigpete,
I really liked your story. Thanks for writing.
Whether the fox stood there for a second or a minute makes no difference, he was taunting you, just the same!
He who laughs last...

Missed deer will do that at times, just stand and look, I think they are wondering what the He%% was that. I have seen stranger things happen with animals when hunting. One thing is certain real world or the so called fantasy world theres a dead fox in the pic. Nice job.

Feltwad, what drives you to regularly question or deny the honesty and/or knowledge of posters on this forum?
Pretty much because he's a turd.
I was raised by a father who shot foxes professionally for their skins,and I've been hunting them myself with bows,modern firearms,and muzzleloaders since the age of 12. I've used methods from calling to stalking to night vision gear. I've literally shot HUNDREDS of them,so I reckon I might have seen a thing or 2 regarding fox behaviour. I've seen them be that clever that they squint their eyes when a spotlight hits them so there's no eye shine,and that dumb that they walk up to me in broad daylight while I'm wearing a black shirt and blue jeans standing still in the open. And I don't lie about my hunting experiences. So when I say he stood there looking at me for a minute,then that's the truth,even if I didn't get a stopwatch out and time it ! 😅

Back