• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historically, correct bullet molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a fella/lady who makes historically correct bullet molds? I belong to a group of colonial, Virginia rangers, and everyone’s trying to get a bullet mold to go with ther rifle.
I’m not sure if Rapineis still in business, I got my 490 bag molds from Larry Callahan but just wondering if there’s anyone else out there doesn’t matter East Coast, West Coast, or Midwest

That's a good question. I haven't specifically researched bullet moulds much, but I think conventional wisdom maintains that the pincer-type moulds would be appropriate for the colonial era. As others have noted, Larry Callahan is the go-to guy for these. Track of the Wolf has "bag moulds" but Callahan moulds have a better reputation for quality. Dixie Gun Works also has this type of mould, but only in brass and in a very limited range of sizes. They catalog this as Item #MO0103 and suggest writing the size you want in the "Comments" section of the order page. I bought one of these in .530" back in the sixties, when they had them in a larger range of sizes. The balls were not perfect, but of the antique handmade moulds I've tried, imperfect balls were not unusual, and the balls I cast with this old Dixie mould were good enough for my purposes at the time.

There were a lot of gang moulds used in the distant past, but I don't know of anyone making historically correct ones now.

I don't want to vector too far off the topic of colonial era moulds, but would like to say that the Log Cabin Shop may still have a few of the old Stence moulds, which would not be authentic for the colonial era but they do look like an old-fashioned 19th-century design:

Stence Mould.jpg

They appear to be nice-quality forgings with integral handles. In The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle, Ned Roberts stated that the "swinging cut-off," or sprue cutter, was a Colt innovation introduced in 1837, but it caught on very quickly. One of these would be right at home with a plainsman's kit.

One final suggestion for the OP, back on topic, would be to look for actual antique moulds. As a test, I just did a Google search using "antique bullet mold for sale" and it turned up close to three million hits. Seriously, there are a lot of old moulds out there in the $35-$50 range. The trick, I guess, would be finding the specific size you want. A lot of sellers are remarkably ill-informed about that sort of thing.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

You are quite correct @Notchy Bob about sellers not knowing their product. Admittedly it was years ago when I bid on a 21 caliber round ball bullet mold on e-bay. It was stamped 21. I won the auction and sure enough, it was a 21 gauge mold one of my prize possessions along with the 12 "caliber" mold no one wanted. Didn't know my King's Musket was 12 caliber.

Yes, the ball is irregular in shape, but works just fine in my 20 gauge fowling gun.

The Log Cabin has many, many original molds purchased from an estate: maybe a hundred of them. Most are smaller caliber, many are unmarked or marked by the number of balls to the pound.

Numerous times I have seen original moulds on FleaBay that I thought might be a correct size. I have asked the seller if there was a chance to cast a round ball in it and measure the ball. I have never had one seller comply with that request. Most times they are just re-selling for a profit and don't have any way to melt lead or have any lead to melt. Most of the original moulds I have had are always really out of round. I sold a 52 caliber mould last year that measured .526 in one direction then .510 in the other direction. I don't know how early shooters could ever hit anything with roundball so out of round.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Back