• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Highland Games - Rules

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Heart

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I find descriptions of Highland Games and their rules (like held at the Eastern Primitive and Alafia). My wife's family has us in charge of putting together a Highland Games for their reunion next year. We have watched these a couple times but want to get it right.

:thanks:

Hi Big Heart,
Here's a link to an "official" set of rules.
http://www.nasgaweb.com/rules.asp
I ran the Games at the Eastern this year, and again back in 02. I also run them at a couple of local events. I use the official rules as a very loose guide. We run ours with an eye to more fun, and less chance of injury. We also strive for a bit more historical authenticity in terms of dress. The key is to remember that you're not dealing with pro atheletes, no matter how good a shape your competitors are in, and plan your weights and distances accordingly.

Thanks Piper! :thumbsup:

There are some games we have seen that are not in the "Heavy Games" such as the Haggis Toss - ladies Whiskey run - are there descriptions of these other games anywhere. Thanks again!!!

I don't know that there are any written rules for those two events, they're pretty much restricted to Rendezvous.
The way I set up the Haggis toss is to set up something for the ladies to stand on, usually a hawk block laid flat on the ground. The "haggis" is a cloth sack of rice or beans. They have to stand on the block, on one foot and toss the "haggis" into a target laid out on the ground. The distance to the target is increased with each round.
For the "Whisky" Run, I made up a bunch of wooden swords. The ladies are given a cup of "whisky" (water) which they must place on the front half of the sword blade. Once the signal is given they must traverse the course we've laid out, without spilling the water. Anyone who spills must return to the starting line for a refill. You could use pieces of lath from your local home supply for swords. I use small tomato paste cans for cups. You'll want to keep it cheap and easy, because the equipment tends to take abuse. I generally lay out a roughly circular course, with a couple of small obstacles, something to circle around, and a small hurdle that needs to be stepped over.
Hope this helps

Piper,

You have been a great help! If there are any other games you can think of - let me know. Isn't there one where couples toss a small sack to each other while they are standing on one leg - at increasingly greater distances?

I appreciate your responses! :thanks:

That's a variation on the "Haggis Toss". Since the rules usually state that "Ladies must be sponsored" to participate, sometimes their sponsor is placed out as a target. He must catch the "haggis" without stepping out of place. This only works if each female competitor has her own "sponsor". I know that at the games I've run we've frequently had women show up to compete without a counterpart among the male competitors. My wife generally keeps a few strips of tartan on hand that they can pin on so they can compete under the Steward's (that'd be me) sponsorship.

Aw ya big lug admit it hee hee ya just like haven all them young lassies beholden to ya. Hope to see ya at Jacobsburg. Are ya bringing the male, half domesticated house apes or the female ones this trip? I'm gonna try to head up on Wednesday. Tell Su Samantha's sending good vibes her way so the knee heals quicker, n tell that purrty gal I'm jonesing fer something chocalate :)YMHS Birdman :blah:

isnt there a game where you throw a long pole?,,,stand it straight up in both hands and throw it,,,could change it to a wife throw,,, :kid:

Hi Bird,
We're figuring on getting up there on Fri, about noon. Oldest local grandson's staying home this time, but we'll have his two brothers and his sister with us. Still gonna be a busy camp. Sue's knee's doing much better, she's planning on being there. See you in Bolton

Back