• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

High altitude hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m planning on hunting high country mule deer with the old man this September. Looking at focusing our efforts at 11-12,000’ in Colorado. I don’t foresee us taking shots over 100 yards as neither of our eyes would allow it with our flinters. One thought (small concern, but I’m not sure it should be at our ranges) I have is trajectory being affected in that altitude. Our loads are developed at 1,000’ and there’s really not a good way of testing them without blowing out basins when we go. Should we have cause for concern within 75 yards?

IMG_6172.jpeg

Just for giggles, here are is my 5 shot 50 yard grouping with my Kibler .58 colonial. 80 gr FFF, .015 spit patch and hornady .57 rb.

Trajectory will be flatter due to less aerodynamic drag, ie less drop over distance. 75 yards isn't that long of a range; I can't speak from experience, but I suspect for that load and caliber the difference in elevation offset due to altitude isn't enough to adversely affect your clean kill.

If you know what the muzzle velocity is for that load and what the ballistic coefficient is for your round ball, here's a ballistic calculator that goes to 15,000 feet:
https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/
Neither of the drag coefficient models are applicable to round balls, but the G1 model is closer. The calculator won't be "correct" but might give you an idea of "how much".

I don't know what any of your numbers are for your setup, but just for grins I ran two calculations for 150 gr bullet at 1000 fps muzzle velocity and 0.5 ballistic coefficient using the G1 model at 1000 ft and at 10,000 ft. At a 100 yd scope or open sight zero, the 1000 ft trajectory was 3.1 in high at 75 yds and the 10,000 ft trajectory was 3 in high.

Last edited:
Trajectory will be flatter due to less aerodynamic drag, ie less drop over distance. 75 yards isn't that long of a range; I can't speak from experience, but I suspect for that load and caliber the difference in elevation offset due to altitude isn't enough to adversely affect your clean kill.

If you know what the muzzle velocity is for that load and what the ballistic coefficient is for your round ball, here's a ballistic calculator that goes to 15,000 feet:
https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/
Neither of the drag coefficient models are applicable to round balls, but the G1 model is closer. The calculator won't be "correct" but might give you an idea of "how much".

I don't know what any of your numbers are for your setup, but just for grins I ran two calculations for 150 gr bullet at 1000 fps muzzle velocity and 0.5 ballistic coefficient using the G1 model at 1000 ft and at 10,000 ft. At a 100 yd scope or open sight zero, the 1000 ft trajectory was 3.1 in high at 75 yds and the 10,000 ft trajectory was 3 in high.
Thanks for the link! Ran the numbers and there’s absolutely nothing to worry about at the distances we’re shooting.

When i was a bit younger i was doing a lot of back country backpacking at 10,000-12,000 feet i felt like i had half a jag on and always short on breath

Both of us are well versed backpackers and both have spent some time at high altitudes 🤟🏻

We have checked our loads in Colorado before and their was no difference and we sighted in here at home at 800 feet
I've checked it out and found the same. I think if you locked your gun in a vice and shot a group the shot to shot variance would probably be greater than the effect of altitude.

Good that you are ready for elevation. So many who come here are not.

Back