• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hid tanning, help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woods Dweller

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Many years ago, I have tanned hides with brains that I would buy at the supermarket. I have been given some hides and want to tan them but can't get brains at the supermarket no more.
How can I tan my hides now? Also I have a fox hid and want to tan it. I never have tan a hid with hair on it. Can anyone give me some advice?

You might try a butcher shop or someone who processes deer if there are any in you area.

My Grand Aunt used to like to eat fried pork brains in her salad sometimes. Once she was at the supermarket looking for some to buy and didn't find any. Well, it just so happened that the meatcutter was out stocking the freezers, so she walked right up to him and asked, "Ain't you got any brains?"
:rotf: Try that. It might not get you what you're looking for but the look on their face will be priceless.

You can tan by substituting whole eggs for brains. Both are a source for the lecithin that softens the hide. Look up using "egg tanning leather" search.

Hides can then be water proofed by smoking them.

Egg yolks and naptha soap or Ivory soap flakes do work. About the best substitute that I know of is Murphy's Oil Soap. Murphy's is easy to work with, the oil penetrates the hides well and they come out fairly soft without having to do a lot of excess work to soften the hide afterwards.

Yes, you can dilute the Murphy's Oil Soap with a little water to help soften up the hide when you first start working the soap in. It should take very little water to do this. You want the oils in the soap to be what is penetrating down into the hide. The Murphy's will penetrate the hide just fine, particularly something as thin as fox hide that Woods Dweller is interested in tanning.

Muskeg Stomper said:
Yes, you can dilute the Murphy's Oil Soap with a little water to help soften up the hide when you first start working the soap in. It should take very little water to do this. You want the oils in the soap to be what is penetrating down into the hide. The Murphy's will penetrate the hide just fine, particularly something as thin as fox hide that Woods Dweller is interested in tanning.

More details please!

I'm at work now but a good reference that I use is the book "Secrets of Eskimo Skin Sewing" by Enda Wilder. She's a Inuit lady who used to teach throughout the University of Alaska system. She tells about brain tan alternatives using soap. Murphy's Oil Soap was a later discovery that I made on the internet. Google the book or get one from Amazon; you'll be happy that you did. Tanning, fur care, cutting, sewing and patterns for hats, mukluks, mittens and parkas...it's all in there.

I forgot to add that some more great references, particularly on handling hides and making rawhide are old books by Ben Hunt. Good stuff out there on the internet too but I like books.

im currently reading deerskins into buckskin so i can attempt to make buckskin. It mentions brains, as well as eggs, and soap and natural oils. I think that liver can be used also.

I've used eggs on beaver so I can tell ya will work, the suggestion to check out braintan.com is a great one, more info there then ya can take in ina week. YMHS Birdman ps, working beaver soft IS HARD WORK way more then any deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check with your butchers /meatcutters you should be able to find hog brains, dont think they will sell you calf brains anymore also check your shops that cut deer maybe they can help you out with some deer brains

Jim Anderson said:
I just used eggs on a deer hide last week and it came out beautifully soft.
Can you provide additional details as to how you went about the tanning?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back