• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi from East Africa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody! I hunt and shoot quite a lot, and lately I have picked interest in good ole' muzzleloaders: the idea to be fully independent from any external ammo supply is appealing, especially in our nick of the woods, where the only stuff that you can reliably find at all times is 7.62x39... Not to mention that a classic flintlock looks darn cool any day of the week 😎

I've always liked hunting as close as possible: the fun is in the hunt and the stalk, not in mile-long shots, so a shorter-range rifle has no drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. I look forward to good info and advice here!
"Fully independent"? You must have missed the guys on here bemoaning lack of Caps, Lead and Black Powder! 🙂

"Fully independent"? You must have missed the guys on here bemoaning lack of Caps, Lead and Black Powder! 🙂
Well... There are no supplies here, but one can always roll his own the old way, nature is full of the main ingredients when they're not on the shelf, and heaps of old wheelweights and batteries grace the landscape for one who looks for them 😁.

Flints can be brought directly from England or France, and there must be some flint in chalk and diatomaceous earth deposits.

This surely beats battling the sheer madness of international export and local import regulations and fees for the brass cigars... Calculate that one (high quality) round of .458 costs me $15 to $20 when all is said and done, with a waiting period of months that can turn into a year or more, and you'll understand the appeal...

Besides, I just love tinkering with anything gun-related... Going 18th century sounds like the perfect hobby, I'd think!

Thank all for the warm welcome, one of these days I'll post pictures of the surroundings (really beautiful place and wonderful wilderness, I must say).

Back