• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here is something Ive never seen before

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's another one of those neat, oddball designs that was purchased by both sides during the war.

I fail to see how working a finger lever is an advantage to just cocking a hammer, and making for less moving parts

There is so much history with these odd revolvers that were issued in small numbers , we can't even scratch the surface and we'll never know about all of them

Apparently the Confederate govt purchased large numbers of Lafaucheaux pinfire revolvers for use by Cavalry, like 40,000 of them. I would have had no idea they had that many in service.

That's why the CSA standardized on .36, it was cheaper to make ammunition , .36's are more forgiving of inconsistent frame and cylinder iron and a .36 ball or bullet did roughly the same job as a .44 ball or bullet

Also .36 was still seen as the "Navy" caliber since no one needed to stop horses in naval combat , they were for ship defense

That looks too fiddly to be used in combat , I really don't want to have to pull a ring trigger then a separate trigger to fire the gun when people are trying to kill me.

Especially if I'm used to just cocking the hammer on a .36 Colt Navy

That looks too fiddly to be used in combat , I really don't want to have to pull a ring trigger then a separate trigger to fire the gun when people are trying to kill me.

Especially if I'm used to just cocking the hammer on a .36 Colt Navy
Yeah, it never really caught on. Too bad Samuel Colt never lived to see his guns become icons. He died in '62.

That's why the CSA standardized on .36, it was cheaper to make ammunition , .36's are more forgiving of inconsistent frame and cylinder iron and a .36 ball or bullet did roughly the same job as a .44 ball or bullet

Also .36 was still seen as the "Navy" caliber since no one needed to stop horses in naval combat , they were for ship defense
The "Navy" nomenclature came about from the roll engraving on the cylinder, of the Texas Navy. Not because they might have been specifically meant for the navy. Lots of foot troops used them.

Back