• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hemp jewelry cord...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
bought a 100 yd ball of this stuff fer just under 5.00 from wally world and was thinking of useing it fer my bag....it looks like 1 - 1.5 mm in dia....i tested a length of it off another ball from the shelf that had bout 3' unrolled from it....i stepped on the section just off the roll and wrapped the loose end around my closed knife and pulled hard to try to break it and it stood it's ground....after some waxing i think it would stand up to use as thread fer my bag....the color is a taupe/beige on the label but it's a dark beige....i know it may not be pc but i need it to hold up fer my use as a hunting bag....just posting a source fer thread.............bob

Hemp was around in the day. That's what they made rope from, and I've heard of it being used for harness stitching, pretty much interchangably with waxed flax. Heck, our first president grew a lot of hemp, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't smoking it. :hmm:
If it fits your needles, use it!

Yep it was around in those days. I was told that all you had to do to get hemp was walk down any RailRoad bed in the mid West as it was growing wild everywhere. Seems before it was smoked the RailRoad was hauling Hemp seed to the farmers to be raised and turned in to rope and twine. Guess the local stuff never was as strong as the imported stuff It didn't catch on with the local smokers or there wouldn't be so much smuggling going on.
The stuff does make good threat and twine.
Fox :hatsoff

PS: Lets made smoke with BP not rope

I use that hemp cord all the time in my projects, heck I even used it for BakeovenBill's "temporary" powder horn strap.

It's totally PC, as hemp has been used by the chinese since god knows when!

I just discovered hemp not to long ago myself.Since then I've braided a hat band,braided some to tie my measures to my shootin' bag ,decorated an Indian style haversack,and just finished up braidin' a horn strap.Needless to say I'm hooked on the stuff.Of course if anybody lights a fire close to me ......LOOK OUT :grin:

silverfox said:
Yep it was around in those days. I was told that all you had to do to get hemp was walk down any RailRoad bed in the mid West as it was growing wild everywhere. Seems before it was smoked the RailRoad was hauling Hemp seed to the farmers to be raised and turned in to rope and twine. Guess the local stuff never was as strong as the imported stuff It didn't catch on with the local smokers or there wouldn't be so much smuggling going on.
The stuff does make good threat and twine.
Fox :hatsoff

PS: Lets made smoke with BP not rope

Your Right, I have been told that between the two World Wars my grand dad grew Hemp here in Iowa as a cash crop and to support the war effort.
Since a lot of hemp rope was used the during the wars. To this day it is common to see patches in the road ditches. There has been a move to legalize the growth so the fibers could be used in the manufactuer of cloth. This is a fiber variety with very low concentration of THC so is really useless as Wacky Tabbacy.
I would be very hesitant to collect it and make my own rope, as law enforcement would assume ones motives were dishonest.

oldmaster said:
And if it doesn't work, you can always smoke it. :rotf:

back in the day, when supplies were low, that was the progression. Run out of tabacky, smoke your rope, then get the munchies and eat your mocs :rotf:

I like everything about the Hemp stuff. its color, the texture, and how the thicker stuff breaks in. I'm not sure on the tinsel strength, but I bet it's "strong enough."
I still want a hemp trail tarp, but will probably settle for a frock instead.

Back