• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon ferro

32 Cal.
Reaction score
so the story is that i got a GPR kit and put it to gether and it cam out graet and it look good so i put it in the corner for a while then a few days ago picked it up to sight it in and work up a load .so every thing was going allright got a good load going but i noticed that my elevation was hiting fine but horizontal was hit left then right and keeped moving back and forth mine you guys I did not Inlet the barrel but it fits kind of loose it kinda Wiggles back and forth left to right and I'm sure that's the reason why I've been shooting left to right so the help I need is how to secure it and stop it from the moveing

accuglass from TOTW.......fills the barrel channel if you have slop in it~ but follow those instructions!!!!
:stir:

It's Acraglas, and it's available from many sources; https://www.google.com/search?q=acraglas

Without having the rifle in hand to see where it "wiggles" or why bedding the barrel in it's channel is probably the best bet.

Acraglas is easy to use if the instructions are followed and a permanent fix.
Follow some of the links in the google search for a ton of info.

Last edited by a moderator:
necchi said:
Acraglas is easy to use if the instructions are followed and a permanent fix.....
....and if the instructions aren't followed the barrel will be permanently fixed to the stock. :grin: Enjoy, J.D.

Before getting too carried away adding a potting material to the stock, be sure to check the condition of the fired patches the next time you shoot it.
If the patch is torn or burned, that is likely the source of the problem.

New barrels sharp rifling grooves or sharp muzzle crown often will cut/tear patches.

The wrong lube and loose patches or too hot of a powder load for the ball/patch being loaded can burn the patches.

Any and all of these things can cause the ball to hit all over the target.

If you used the adjustable rear sight, these sometimes come loose or the parts are loose to begin with. These can also throw the ball all over the place.

A poor choice in ball/patch sizes can cause poor accuracy.
IMO, only after all of these things are tested and removed from the possible problem list should you consider potting the barrel.

The hitting left/right, etc. can be from any one of several different causes.
The wiggle barrel can be fixed simply. First try to determine where it is loose. Just bending the wedge pins to secure the barrel tighter might help. I have had great luck by just putting a thin strip of leather, or two, under the bottm flat to snug things up.
If you are still throwing shots that is time to experiment with loads. Too little pressure can affect accuracy. Too thin patches can affect it also.
I wouldn't mess with the acraglass yet. Look for simple fixes first.

although I wouldn't rule out AccraGlass, I'd go with Rifleman's suggestions: tinker with it a bit, check that you're not cutting patches, and then if all else fails, try the 'glass...

just one guy's opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the investment...

make good smoke!

I put a 15/16 GM barrel in a Renegade stock which takes a 1 inch barrel. My plan was to "glass" the barrel, but I started by shimming with a thin piece of plastic, which tightened it up so good, and the gun shot so well, I left the shim stock in the rifle. My point is; try a little piece of card stock or similar material, before glass bedding and see what happens.

Check your sights to see if they are loose. A loose sight can cause horizontal accuracy problems.

If after that you still thinks it's due to the barrel slop, take Hadden West's advice and shim the barrel. Even if it's temporary, it's a good trouble shooting technique. If it works, you can bed the barrel later if you want to. Good luck. Bill

Back