• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help with trade rifle or deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I got has not been shot a whole lot yet and the load is not settled on yet. I have found it likes 3f much better than 2f though. It seems to prefer heavy charges and that's what I was hoping it would like. 90 grains does 2" at 50 benched. I like a .54 ball and was concerned with the 1/48 twist at first but it will do ok.

As soon as I can get a program put together I am going to machine some butt plates that will replace the rubber pad. I am not real good on 3D programing so I am going to need some support from one of our programmers. I want it to be similar to the TC PA hunter metal plate. A ball nose end mill to shape it. I will send you one when I get them done.

yes it will be more traditional i hate the snythetic stock on my tc. being that my firestorm was not taken care of by the orginal owner the barrel is pitted so it will be an upgrade from the condition my gun is in. if it was a tc hawkens or something decent i would have the barrel bored to a .54.

i agree the deerstalker in nothing to look at but i did like the price i found on it 380 new. but i had to pass and my buddy picked it up. i like the look of the trade rifle much better only bad thing is i cant find it anywhere and to order i cant even find a decent price. did find a site that i can backorder it but who knows when they will get one in. i also have my local gun shop looking they only have the deerstalkers.

crazie said:
i agree the deerstalker in nothing to look at but i did like the price i found on it 380 new. but i had to pass and my buddy picked it up. i like the look of the trade rifle much better only bad thing is i cant find it anywhere and to order i cant even find a decent price. did find a site that i can backorder it but who knows when they will get one in. i also have my local gun shop looking they only have the deerstalkers.

Morris Muzzleloader in Grove City,PA have Lyman Trade rifles.you can google there web sit and the ship.

Thanks for the help i went with the trade rifle picked one up today found a local shop that had one for 439.99. I will be changing the sights sometime this summer

I bought the .54 Deerstalker and later I picked up a Trade rifle barrel on clearance that drops right in to the stock. The Trade barrel on the Deerstalker stock makes a pretty nice rifle. I wanted to use one for conical and one for ball. I am going to shoot some ball from the Trade barrel this weekend if I get the time. Checking out the walleye fishing on Saturday then shoot on Sunday.

Yesterday i shot 320 reals out of the trade. New gun didnt do anything with the sights yet or even work on a load yet and 3 shots at 50 yards and got a 3 in group

crazie said:
Thanks for the help i went with the trade rifle picked one up today found a local shop that had one for 439.99. I will be changing the sights sometime this summer

Do they put the adjustable sight in the box like the Great Plains does?

No adjustable sights im thinking about getting the v peep for it from rmc i believe

I was mistaken it came with an adjustable sight it was still in the box thanks for asking because i would of never looked

I just added a Johnson Peep Sight to my Stalker and it looks quite nice. I had to mod it slightly to make it fit. I opened the front sight mounting hole so that the tang screw would fit through it, and countersunk it a bit deeper. I also used the second sight mounting hole for a elevation adjustment screw. That screw sits in a dimple I created on the tang, so that it holds the sight base in line. Works well, and feels real solid.

IMG_0002_zpse7cyruxz.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsd1xli92m.jpg

NaturalPath said:
I just added a Johnson Peep Sight to my Stalker and it looks quite nice. I had to mod it slightly to make it fit. I opened the front sight mounting hole so that the tang screw would fit through it, and countersunk it a bit deeper. I also used the second sight mounting hole for a elevation adjustment screw. That screw sits in a dimple I created on the tang, so that it holds the sight base in line. Works well, and feels real solid.

IMG_0002_zpse7cyruxz.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsd1xli92m.jpg

neat lookin' sight set-up :thumbsup: nowi, if ya'd do somethin' with that phillips screw................ :haha:

Ya, I hear ya on the Phillips screw but it's what I had on hand. If I find something more appropriate, I'll certainly change it out.

NaturalPath said:

IMG_0002_zpse7cyruxz.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsd1xli92m.jpg
What front sight are you using?

I'm using the standard Deerstalker hunting sight, which has a small white dot on the blade. I can also still use the folding rear sight, which has an elevation adjustment on it too. If I want to use the rear folding sight I can remove the aperture from the peep sight, and use the large hole as a 'ghost ring' in combination with the front and rear hunting sights.

I tried to get a shot of all three sights, but the peep is a bit blurred. The rear hunting sight is in the folded down position in this shot.

IMG_0006_zps6wtcybcc.jpg

Thats a nice set up. I would like to find a tang peep that is foldable so if needed i can use the open sights. Or i may go with rmc v peep. Has anyone had experience with either

I have a trade rifle and its a great gun for the money 54cal. I thought about buyin the flintlock in one just to play with. I think the only thing I did with mine was change the front sight to one I found at TOW. Dont have a pic handy right now. Al

Back