• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with sight in- out of adjustment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmannx217

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .45 cal flinter that shoots low about 18" at 50 yards. I'm shooting .440 balls and have tried patches from .010 to .018. I have filed the front sight all the way down and have no more room. Still way low. Any ideas?

Track of the Wolf has an excellent selection of sights to choose from. Find a rear sight and front sight that will fit within the existing notches in your barrel, so that you won't have to remove any more metal to seat your new sights. The rear sight should be approximate 3/8 inch high. Front sights are typically made a little higher in order to allow them to be filed down during sighting in the rifle.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
azmntman said:
Replace front and rear sites?

X2

If you install just a higher rear sight it will most likely have you shooting high now that the front is real low. I have found that MOST rifles should start with front and rear near the same height and file to suit.
TC

Given that you have filed down your front sight and are still that low makes me think that a previous owner may have installed the wrong combination of front and rear sights. You should start with a front sight that is just a tad bit too tall. It should be a bit taller than the rear sight. Carefully measure the precise height of your rear sight and then buy a front sight that is just a bit taller. That will give you some metal on your front sight to file off to make it work with the existing rear sight. That way, you only have to replace one sight. There are many places to get a front sight, TOW, Dixie Gun Works, Muzzleloader Builder's Supply and many more. You just have to know what the base width is that fits into the dovetail, the height that you want, the style that you want and the material of construction. All of the places will work with you. The best thing to do is to first get your measurements and then call them and discuss your need.

What is the height differential over the bore centerline now? With most of my guns I need the front sight to be .05-.10 lower than the rear (light loads 50 yards).

What you haven't told us is the distance between the front and rear sights. That gets dropped in to the formula for calculating movement / differential.

I assume that his rear sight is not adjustable. That being the case, he will need to replace his rear sight with a taller one. My first idea of replacing the front sight only was predicated on his rear sight being adjustable. So, if he replaces his rear sight with a taller one and replaces his front sight with a new one so that he will have some room to do some filing, he will be able to move his POI up to where it should be. At that point, he can calculate how much to file off the front sight to raise his POI to where he wants it.

Of course, this all assumes that his bore is centered and that the barrel is straight. If either or both of these two assumptions are incorrect, it will take a muzzleloading gunsmith to make the corrections.....if such can be made. If bent, the barrel can be straightened. If bored off center, the barrel will likely have to be replaced. It would be cheaper and better to replace it than to have a gunsmith do all the work needed to turn it.

When I build a rifle I usually leave the front sight 1/16" higher than the rear. This will usually put a shot a little below center @ 25yds. After load workup the front sight height is refined to bring the POI up to where I want it.

Back