• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statella43

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi

It’s been a few years since I have shot my flintlock (Lyman deerstalk .50) I have a RMC touch hole liner in it. When I load my rifle (I used 2f and 3f) it pushes out my touch hole. If I don’t have my frizen down if will push out onto the ground. If I have my frizen closed if completely fills up the pan. If does this when shooting .490 balls and .015 patch and hornady pa conicals. I don’t remember it doing that before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

What size is that? I think I still have the factory one. Is that 1/16” or should it be drilled out? I prefer to buy one premade if I can.

I didn’t think it seemed right. I don’t remember it doing it when I first put it kn years ago.

Thanks,
Joe

The only way to make your touch hole smaller is to replace it. You want a touch hole that will pass a 1/16" drill bit, but not a 5/64" drill bit.

It seems as if your factory RMC liner has eroded to a larger diameter. A replacement RMC liner will come with a touch hole drilled. Often it is slightly smaller than 1/16" and will work. If your firing time with a new liner is slow, then you want to open the touch hole with a 1/16" drill bit.

replace the liner. drill it out to 5/64ths. you can go back 10 plus years on this forum for touch hole threads. 5/64 is the max.

I'd recommend replace but not to drill it out any larger until after you try it as issued. Some do fine with the tiny vent - and that will be more accurate (as a generalism - less pressure loss).

Mine have flush ground vents and I'm in no hurry to have to pull and replace. Hopefully it will be some future shooter's worry.

If you are loading with your frizzen down you had better have a piece of leather over it with the flint in half cock. Should the cock fall against the frizzen during loading it very well could spark, and discharge the gun. Bad things can happen that way.

Another solution would be to load with the frizzen up, and plug the vent hole with something that won't break off in there, like a piece of metal, hard rubber, a feather. Just stay away from wood like a toothpick.

It certainly sounds like you have too large a touch hole. However, what begs a question is that you said it had been "a few years" since you had shot this gun. Now, when you took it out it was blowing powder out of the touch hole as you load. I have to wonder how the touch hole enlarged while sitting idle in storage..... This blowing out the touch hole was not going on the last time you shot this gun, is that correct ????

Just questions.....

Back