• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with ID of Italian rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeber

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need some help identifying a 50 cal percussion rifle. Markings simply say Italy black powder, with the typical proof marks and date code of XX9 = 1973. There is a maker mark, see the attached photo. It has a 28" octagon barrel, "easy open" brass patchbox, case hardened lock, double set triggers with brass trigger guard. ???
20190125_144923.jpg

Sounds like the typical Eye-talian ‘Hawken’ but as Cowboy said, more pix would help.

this help? sorry, my images keep getting rotated vertically....

Attachments

• 20190125_144746.jpg
    20190125_144746.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 20190125_144753.jpg
    20190125_144753.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 20190125_144805.jpg
    20190125_144805.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 292
Investarms. Under the Lyman name they were called ‘The Plains Rifle’.

Not to be confused with the current production ‘Great Plains Rifle’.

By the way, that appears to be a fine specimen right there.

As a lad I used to salivate over these in my uncle’s Gander Mountain catalog which was about the size of a comic book. And thought to myself if I just had one’a those rifles & a set of buckskins I’d be a real-life, rootin’ tootin’ straight shootin’ mountain man for sure. LOL

this help? sorry, my images keep getting rotated vertically....
Looks like the picture associated to Lymans Plains Rifle in the New 2nd Edition of Black Powder Gun Digest (1977).
If correct that could fit with Nate's call; pre-InvestArms Lyman.

It's also in the 1982 Gun Digest Loading Manual by Sam Fadala as the Lyman Plains Rifle. My Cabela's Hawken by Investarms looks like this rifle, except the patch box is different. The Lyman Trade Rifle is also essentially the same rifle with no patch box and with primitive sights.

The folks at Investarms in Marcheno, Italy confirmed your suspicions! Thanks again for the info.....

I sent an email to Investarms (the email address from their website) along with a photo of the barrel markings of my rifle, asking them if it was a product produced by them. Their response was "I confirm you that this muzzleloading is our." After receiving that response, I looked at their current product line. I found that my rifle, which was produced in 1973 (date code XX9), looks very much like a current model #120A.

I sent an email to Investarms (the email address from their website) along with a photo of the barrel markings of my rifle, asking them if it was a product produced by them. Their response was "I confirm you that this muzzleloading is our." After receiving that response, I looked at their current product line. I found that my rifle, which was produced in 1973 (date code XX9), looks very much like a current model #120A.
No one can say ya didn’t do your homework! I’m impressed my friend. Good job!!

Respectfully, Cowboy

The finish looks quite good on that barrel. I hope she shoots well for you. POST a test target, please, when the Spring thaw comes and you can get to the range ?? :thumb:

LD
Actually Dave.... won't be shot by me. Listing for sale in the next few...

Back