• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Hopkins and Allen Minuteman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiswell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend was just gifted a .36 cal H+A Minuteman. It looks like it is unfired. He wanted to know if there were any currently available quality locks that would fit the mortise and line up with the touch hole and sear bar. I see that parts are available from Numerich/gunpartscorp for the lock, but didn't know if there were options for replacement.

Thanks, Bill

I can't answer your question about a replacement lock. Suggest you contact L&R and Davis and ask them. I used to sell those rifles. Sadly, the flintlocks were pretty sorry. Weak springs and soft frizzens. I had one that needed the frizzen face surfaced with a large piece of hacksaw. The mainspring was replaced. Shot well after that.

I can't answer your question about a replacement lock. Suggest you contact L&R and Davis and ask them. I used to sell those rifles. Sadly, the flintlocks were pretty sorry. Weak springs and soft frizzens. I had one that needed the frizzen face surfaced with a large piece of hacksaw. The mainspring was replaced. Shot well after that.
I had one years ago
the lock would not spark
had a gun smith put a sole on frizzen
worked great afterwords

I must be one of the very few people who ordered and was satisfied with a flint Minuteman. I got it in the late 1960s and it shot great and was reliable. I really regret letting it get away from me.

I remember this gun from the late 1960's. Most seemed to have the problems per Rifleman's mention above. Trying to search my now foggy memory, I think (?) about the same time that Dixie introduced their Tennessee Mountain Rifle, they offered a replacement lock for the Minuteman. You might call and ask them. If so, maybe they have one lying around or know where to get one. Otherwise, the frizzen may just need hardening or half-soled as mentioned.

I bought a kit gun from Dixie in 1974, .45 cap lock and it shot very well. Some times in the 90's I convert it to flint. Dixie had replacement locks for this gun. I made a screw-in liner for the drum and nipple that came on the gun. Installed the new lock and the gun shoots fine. She now holds a special place over my fireplace.
Check with Dixie as has been said already. These guns were part of an era when black power was the real deal with no in-lines and substitue powders.

I own a Minuteman, but in .45 caliber. Has a 1 in 48 twist. Although nominally a .45 it's actually a .44; I use a .433 round ball. It came as a flinter and the lock sparks very well. In my assortment of things & stuff gathered over the years I had a percussion lock for this make of rifle. Drops right in. I drilled out the barrel and installed a vent liner which is happily the same thread as a drum and nipple percussion conversion, so it can be used as a flintlock or percussion. The rifle is HEAVY with a .44 caliber barrel; I'd think with a .36 it'd be even more so. My rifle shoots as good as I can hold.

Latest posts

Back