• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with gunsmith identification……

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill553

32 Cal
Reaction score
I came across a percussion rifle which I think is a ‘fowling’ rifle….in a box of replica (Denix) US civil war rifles I bought at an auction, and the makers mark appears to be either Kock & Co or Rock and Co. Has anyone heard or either please?

Makers name, full photo to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
If this is a USA made piece, to identify the maker you would probably need to look on the top flat of the barrel. Locks were usually bought as a part for the build and if engraved that was usually done by the lock manufaturer. English pieces often had the builders name on the lock.
When you say you think its a fowling rifle, did you mean its a smoothbore? There are some smoothbore rifles. But generally a fowler is a shotgun.

Apologies if they’re not very clear….

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Nice pictures. You do have a fowler there. It looks to be from the mid 1800’s. It has that english look, but could also have been made in belgium.
I cant quite tell if yours has a wedge key and hooked breech, but id guess not. If it doesnt, its probably best to not disassemble it to look for proof marks on tge barrels underside. Look closely for stampings or proof marks on the top and sides of the barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back