• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with a rifle I.D.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddys Dad passed away and left him this old full stock percussion. It has no markings on the barrel and is Kinda plain jane...with the exceptions of some engravings on the trigger guard and other brass stuff. Let me know what you guys think..
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg

It does have a peculiar brass "arrow" where the patchbox should be

I think it's an officers fusil....JUST KIDDING :grin:(read the previous post and you'll understand). "Plain Jane" belies the beauty of this piece....that arrow inlay is really cool. I'm sure folks will have plenty to say on dates and such...Golcher locks are quite common from 1830-1860..and could have been used anytime after that as well. I'll be watching for more knowledgeable responses...thanks for posting.

It's probably a somewhat unusual repair to what looks like an arc like crack or break just above the arrow
Tom Patton

I'm not sure about a crack..I think it a scratch instead. If ya look close it looks like the brass got scratched a little as well.I had the chance to look at this rifle in person..it's a really nice piece. With a new nipple,It COULD be fired if desired..the bore is clean and was properly taken care of throughout the years. I don't think it's been shot too much. Looks to be a 40 cal. or less.

It appears to be a relatively recent restock using a barrel, lock and hardware from a rifle built between 1845 and 1870. My guess would be that in it's current form it dates in the 1960 - 1975 period.

I hope you are not offended by my statements, I could be wrong but the work around the lock looks as if were made by a fairly skilled wood worker that didn't know exactly what the lock panels should have looked like. Also, the wood, while it has a well used look, is a little too sharp and clean to date as early as the metal parts.

I do find the inlaid arrow an interesting feature, the more I look at it the better I like it but it is not something that I feel would have been done 150+ years ago. Altogether, it is a very interesting rifle.

No offense taken..thats why I am asking you fellows..lol I do hav a little more info though.. this rifle has been in my buddys family for a LONG time and was passed down from his Great G-pa to the current owner..if it was a re-stock it would have been done further back..like around the 40's or so. I asked him and he has pictures of it hanging above the fireplace during christmas time when his dad was young...and you can see the arrow on the stock..the picture is dated from to the early 50's. I dunno..
:idunno:

Glad to hear it, sometimes I sound a lot more offensive or harsh than I mean to. :shocked2:

The 1940s could be a good possibility. There was only one barrel maker that I am aware of at that time (Bill Large) and no new locks other than new old stock from a gun shop or hardware store and anyone that wanted a muzzleloader would use parts from a damaged rifle to build one.

Whatever it turns out to be, the inletting is good and the work overall is well done.

NO WAY you offended me..takes ALOT more than that!..I always take into consideration that I AM the one looking for information..I AM the one in need of help. I appreciate all the help and info you guys continually give. This sight is my favorite sight..I get on it everyday and read ALOT..and believe me it has helped dramatically in my shooting and overall BP rifle knowledge. I thank you for your input!

There have been a lot of Golchers (sometimes listed with a "u" - Goulcher), both in England and the U.States. One of the rifles possibly used by Tim Murphy to snuff Gen. Simon Frazier was a over/under Golcher flintlock. But . . . much speculation there.

More likely yours is associated with the later Golcher who filled in the void left when Ketland went out of business. The name was well enough liked that some wag in Belgium added it to locks that had nothing to do with the family.

Back