• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!! Stuck Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalkickin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys...this is a first. I got my rod stuck in the barrel while running a cleaning patch down it?? Any suggestions?

Clamp ramrod in a vise and pull it out, or grab rod with visegrip pliers and pull. Might want to pad rod tip with a piece of leather. I have found that if you run a wet patch all the way down the barrel before you try to pull it out it doesn't tend to get stuck like it does if you push it down a ways then up some then down a little further etc. Next patch you can work up and down a little at a time. Might want to try smaller patches or a different cleaning jag also. I'd say anyone who has shot a muzzleloader has got a rod stuck at one time or the other.

The vice thing really does work. I have done that a few times myself. The plyers also work but you can mark up the ramrod so be sure and protect it. Some electric tape or masking tape around the ramrod will do the trick.

Another way is to pour some soapy water or gun oil down the barrel, let it sit a while and usually you can pull it right back out.

An air hose can blow it out also if you have access to one.

The T-handle really is a big help for the ramrod when cleaning the rifle. I have had more then one ramrod stuck and that T-handle can be the difference. You can step on the T part of the handle and then pull the rifle off the ramrod.

That is why I always tell people who shoot a lot to get a range rod. A heavy duty range ramrod is worth its weight in gold.

Next time you swab the barrel make sure the patch is good and damp before you start, and not too big. Also work the patch in short strokes and it will not get stuck as often. I happen to know a lot about this because I am the master at stuck ramrods... Lots of on hands experience I am sorry to say.... :: Good luck/

One thing I would like to add is to protect the crown of your barrel, the pliers or vice grips could mar up the muzzle if not careful...

Also, when pulling a wooden ramrod, do not twist as you try to break it free with the pliers, if the ramrod is pinned this twisting action will break the tip of the ramrod off inside of your barrel... (that is if you twist the wrong way, otherwise you will just unscrew the jag while it's still lodged within)

Seen it happen before...

I'd say anyone who has shot a muzzleloader has got a rod stuck at one time or the other.

Never have I stuck a ramrod, nor have I ever dry-balled....every once in a while, I do it on purpose, just for practice in case it ever happens by accident, though....

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Cleaning patch? Is that at the end of the day or a patch run while shooting. Sometimes, in the field, the ramrod isn't stuck that bad and you can make a little jig out of metal plate with a 3/8" hole(if that is the diameter of your ramrod). This little plate can be about 3/4" wide, 3" long, 1/8" thick and the hole at one end. You slip this over the ramrod and lift up the long end. This clamps the ramrod in the hole and lets you pull out the ramrod in most instances. It obviously puts a nick or dent in the wood. I have a "show" ramrod for the nice rifles I own and then switch to a beat up field rod while shooting/hunting.

I'd say anyone who has shot a muzzleloader has got a rod stuck at one time or the other.

At the Alston House, NC event this past summer I got my ramrod stuck after one of the battles. Fortunately (with the help of my unit commander and two other fellows) we were able to retrieve the ramrod. I then turned around and immediately got it stuck again.

My Captain looked at me over his glasses, frowning and said in a very matter-of-fact way: "If you ever get that damn thing stuck again, I will shoot you."

It worked. I haven't gotten it stuck since.

:)

Back