• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help:reconversion of a original smoothie to flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I own and shoot an original smoothie cal.50 which was converted in the 1820 to percusssion. Now I want to reconvert it to flint. Does anybody know how I can manage that and would it be better to take an original flintlock or a replica flintlock, maybe Siler or so.Want to use the gun for Rev.War reenactment.

Thanks for all helpful replies.

I have always found it easiest to utilize the original lockplate when re-converting a percussion lock back to flint. What parts you use to do this depends upon what kind of lock you have and the period it came from. Is the lock on your fowler a Germanic type, English, or French type? Late era flintlocks with rounded tail plates would not be period correct for the Revolutionary War period. If your fowler is a rare valuable antique, I would seriously hesitate it's reconversion unless it was done by an expert restorer. A botched job can ruin the gun and it's value.

Please wait a bit and I will send you pics of the lock area and the whole gun. It was a bad conversion because the percussion lock plate doesn't really fit the place of the flintlock plate, it is to short.

I agree that all those considerations should be taken account of. But, if the gun was altered to percussion that long ago, I'd hesitate to change it. An early conversion like that is a part of that gun's history and would more than likely reduce rather than enhance it's value. If it was a recent and/or not well done job...well, maybe it would be justified if done by an expert. Just my thought.

KanawhaRanger said:
I agree that all those considerations should be taken account of. But, if the gun was altered to percussion that long ago, I'd hesitate to change it. An early conversion like that is a part of that gun's history and would more than likely reduce rather than enhance it's value. If it was a recent and/or not well done job...well, maybe it would be justified if done by an expert. Just my thought.

I agree. Unless flawlessly done and aged, it will detract from the value and more importantly, the history of the gun. In 99.99% of the time, a reconversion is not justified.

Always to be devils advocate. What would the value be, if left in it's poor condition but converted state that was done years ago? What would the value be, if it were properly done back to it's origianl configuration? If it were mine and I wanted to convert it back, I would, but I would research it and do it properly. Also, if I were a buyer, it would be worth more to me, if properly converted back.

The odds that your old smooth bore will be suitable (early enough) for Revolutionary War re-enacting are very, very, slim. If it is that early, it's value exceeds the cost of buying a good quality reproduction to use for re-enacting and most folks would say you shouldn't shoot it or reconvert it!

Post some pictures and try to get an honest estimate of the age before making any decisions.

Gary

Thanks to all responders. I'm not in a hurry, certainly I will ask at first people who know much more about than I do.Thats the cause why I have posted my question to yours my fellow ML colleges.

Kirrmeister said:
I own and shoot an original smoothie cal.50 which was converted in the 1820 to percusssion. Now I want to reconvert it to flint. Does anybody know how I can manage that and would it be better to take an original flintlock or a replica flintlock, maybe Siler or so.Want to use the gun for Rev.War reenactment.

Thanks for all helpful replies.
That has to be a huge burden for you to carry, to reconvert and how to do it. Think how much easier it would be if you just gave the gun to me and relieve yourself of that burden? I would only do this for a fellow forum member but I would do it. :blah:

No, never give it out of my hands,it is a great shooter for a smoothie both with PRB and shot. Perhaps no conversion, so not to destroy a historical gun. :haha:

Back