• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help needed with Colt Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2nd Gen Colt Walker that I love. However, it has been nothing but trouble.

The problem seems to be with the wedge, the original numbered wedge has deformed (looks a bit banana shaped!) so it seems to work loose every shot. I have purchased an ASM wedge that fits but that deformed after about 2 cylinders. Now I am not loading particularly hot loads, I am trying 20 to 30 grains Swiss 3F with a .457 pure lead ball (or sometimes a pure lead Johnston & Dow bullet). So far as I can tell, the arbour fit is fine, there is no noticeable overlap of the frame and barrel if fitted off line. I have had a wedge made from stainless since the old wedges seem to be made from some sort of soft cheese, but I don't want to stretch the arbour itself so I am a bit reluctant to use it.

Has anyone else had any similar issues and if so, how did you solve it? I am having trouble finding a suitable gunsmith to help. mainly as I am in the UK, and very few gunsmiths seem to have any knowledge about BP Colt revolvers.

Had a thought last night. I usually shoot a .457 round ball or Johnston & Dow bullet. These are much larger than the chamber so when I seat the bullet this shaves off a good amount of lead making the bearing surface much larger than if I used a .454 ball. Could this be contributing to the issue? With a larger bearing surface hitting the forcing cone and rifling could this be transferring more forwards energy to the barrel, which coupled to the backwards energy from the recoil is combining to batter the wedge?

I am getting to the point of no return with this pistol, I am beginning to think it may have to go to the great gun safe in the sky. I really don't want to, but I can't sell it to anyone in this state.

Have you checked the arbor to barrel length? Having this fit is the first step to ending the problem. I’d bet it’s short as the parts that these “Colts” are made from came from Uberti.

Your problem is interesting. I also think your move to a smaller ball might help. Not as much pressure on the wedge during loading and ramming the ball into the chambers.
i have an old Uberti Walker, and a Second Generation Walker. I haven’t had any issues. I was shooting the maximum loads with a round ball. It was a lot of fun, but the Walker has a huge appetite for powder when I do that. So, I don’t feed it so much anymore.
Do you know a machinist, or have access to a machine shop ? You could probably pick up a few scraps of steel and make a wedge. :dunno: :cool:

I've got a test wedge cut from stainless steel, it too has deformed. This is the third or fourth wedge I have tried. The second and third wedge was an ASM one that fitted. It deformed very quickly so I gave it to someone with access to more tools than I and they welded it up then machined it back to size. It lasted about 18 shots, the stainless one lasted about 12 shots.

Sorry you have this problem.

Hate to read of a 2nd Generation Colt Walker being deactivated or destroyed.

Is it legally possible to send the Colt to another country in various pieces over a short, reasonable time span to get it repaired or to someone who would like to have it? If legal for you maybe sell the parts in multiple auctions on a gun auction site or ebay; better than destroying or deactivating the Colt.

Colt's ownership change just finalized recently. It is unlikely the new " Colt " will make the percussion models again.

Last edited:
Now you know why I am so reluctant to give up on the gun.

Unfortunately, exporting from the UK may be possible, but expensive, and who is going to want to pay a fortune for a gun they can't shoot.

Have you tried the smaller balls? It is my belief that only the tiniest ring of lead should be made when ramming home the ball. I would have to think that the excessive bearing surface and amount of lead you are forcing through the cone is causing excessive pressure.
Don't give up.

I'd be interested in getting it from you and seeing if I could work out the kinks. I'm in the US and have no restrictions on getting the gun from you. Send me a PM if you'd like to give it a try.

I would suggest contacting Mike Brackett at Goon's Gun Works in the US. His work is top drawer and he's addressed bigger issues than this one. If anyone can fix it, he can. Tell him the Captain sent you.

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

I would love to try Mike, but as I said, I am in the UK and getting guns shipped to the US is going to be both problematic and expensive.

I would love to try Mike, but as I said, I am in the UK and getting guns shipped to the US is going to be both problematic and expensive.
Probably not as expensive as trashing a 2nd gen Colt, though.
I have some suggestions if you want to pm me...

Back