• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me decide on next flintlock style

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm about to start building my next flintlock, I've narrowed it down to a SMR in .50, a Virginia in .58/24 gauge (either rifled or smooth) or a fowler in either 24 or 20 gauge.

I'll be using a stock blank, and I'm going to attempt to make most of the furniture, I do have a spare Va buttplate that I made last year... :hmm:

I just bought that 28 gauge cherry fowler from keb. It's safe to say I'm deeply in love with it at this point.

However, a SMR is on my eventual inventory list too.

I believe I've eliminated the fowler from the mix, still torn between smooth or rifled Virginia and a SMR

SMR in 40 cal. or smaller.
I'm intrigued by Smooth Rifles. If I were to get one, it would be in .54 for hunting deer and hogs but at this point in my life I'm not doing enough hunting to justify it.

I would go to a SMR, but in .40 cal.

One guy's opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the price!

Good luck with your build ... send in lots of pictures - we love pictures!

I agree on a SMR after considering your location, but I was born with a special gland for the oddball. Or something....

In any case, when you look back over the range of calibers common in the day, there was lots more to choose from than our standards today. I'd be inclined to something like 38 or 39 caliber, just to be different than everyone around you while in keeping with the era you'd be honoring.

If your round ball shots are within 60 yards and at a broadside deer or larger game, yes. Otherwise I'd use a rifled barrel.

Where I hunt 50-60 yards is the max you can see through the think brush I hunt in so that would probably be fine

SMR not sure what that is. What have built or bought so far?

A smooth bore is nice, I justify it because I small game hunt alot. If you're a big game only hunter, then I'd go rifled all the way.

I'm very green, but a smaller gun is harder to build than a bigger one. The earlier rifles will likely be easier to setup and make it flow.

What skills do you need to work on towards your "dream" build.

My next is an early Reading 54 cal. Taking a stab at a wooden patchbox, shaping my own furniture. And this will bey 1st barrel inlet and ramrod drill.

SMR is short for Southern Mountain Rifle, its more or less a generic term for rifles built around the southern appalachain mountain/smoky mtn area

Back