• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying kentucky style flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartman3

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am a new forum member. I purchased a "relic" rifle in an auction and am planning on restoring it. I have hunted with muzzleloaders for 30+ years, but am new to the flintlock world. I would like any help I can get as to the style (school?) and period this rifle was made in and any advice on a HC replacement lock. The rifle is 51" overall, with a .40 caliber 35" barrel. The matchbox is interesting in that it has a federal shield and 5 arrows engraved in it (possible revolutionary symbols?). There is both a buttstock and a foreshock molding cut in on each side. There is a hole for a vent pick drilled under the cheekpiece. The ramrod pipes are formed from sheet brass. The barrel has a faint signature on the top flat. It appears to be a first initial "M" and a last name starting with possibly a "B" written in script. I included a flash photo and a photo without flash. the photo without flash shows some inscription that is invisible to the naked eye, but it is a little blurry. Any advice and/or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Attachments

• left-buttstock 2.jpg
    left-buttstock 2.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 235
  • left-side 2.jpg
    left-side 2.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 209
  • lock-inlet 2.jpg
    lock-inlet 2.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 238
  • lock-inlet-size 2.jpg
    lock-inlet-size 2.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 205
  • patchbox 2.jpg
    patchbox 2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 202
  • right-side 2.jpg
    right-side 2.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 196
  • signature-flash 2.jpg
    signature-flash 2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 196
  • signature-no-flash 2.jpg
    signature-no-flash 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 200
To my eye, the patchbox and the very large hole in the side of the barrel says it was probably originally a percussion rifle.
The "school"? Hard to say but it might be from the York school. The comb seems to have more curvature and blends into the wrist more smoothly than I would expect to see from a Lancaster school rifle.

In any case, it looks like you found a fine gun. :)

Thanks Jim - that gives me a start.............The barrel is pinned to the stock, which I thought was an earlier design than the percussion guns.

Plains rifles were a specific type. So we can call this a late long rifle, if you have such a thing. Full stock long rifles got less popular but never went out of production. We have several photos from the 1870s and 80s of men with percussion ‘late’ long rifles, while the folks around them have plains rifles or breech loaders. And SMR would be produced well into the 1930s.

I wondered if it might be a SMR, but read that they usually used iron fittings. Do you have any suggestions on a replacement lock. The lock inlet measures 5 1/2" x 1"...……….Thanks again!

SMR were iron mounted, except those that weren’t. Some had brass and silver mountings, and very nice wood. Looking at this photo it looks Pennsylvanian.

Back