• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be about 1969 before I did that style of hardening By mid 70s I was full on .the Kasinit was OK but its about the same result only takes longer & probably stinks up the house .(I can't smell but I probably Do smell ) I was once case hardening in my front bedroom fire place in our old Edwardian house , I was about to tip the hot mess into the bucket of water when it slipped " .Boom " water everywhere in a tin burst apart mess ! I scrambled a bit but got away with it .
Just because I remember spending Farthings Doesn't mean Ime that old ! .
Regards Rudyard

Farthings I should perhaps explain where the value of a quarter of a Penny with 12 pennies to a Shilling and it was 20 to the Pound My first weeks wages where under 3 pounds today you probably have to pay that for a cup of tea .
in1965 I was three months in Morrocco on 10 pounds & a pound of that was for a nice Moroccan powder horn in Casablanca & I still have it .
First principal of ecconomy travel "If it's not comeing in it can't be going out. Or in US terms you got to' Make the Buffalo holler '
R

I well remember our Pounds, Shillings and Pence here in Australia, Decimal currency didnt come in until 1966.

On the subject of amateur gun builders, my good friend, the late Lynton McKenzie (of gun engraving fame) built a few very creditable percussion rifles while he was still at High School, he went on to become a professional, noted mainly for his world class engraving, but also a noteable gun maker.
And I must add a very fine shot.

Small world I landed in Freemantle in June 66 with a whole three pounds to my name .Made out but camped with the canons in Kings park at first (Great view of the Swan River) then got on with AV Jennings building houses at Dampier not that that's gun relevant but by the time I reached Sydney Lynton had recently departed for UK . I later knew him in The UK Muzzle loaders Association. then he was snatched off, lured off at least to New Orleans for some grand plan to make 'Best" guns there .He used to do Friendship and gave seminars in dusty Booths before we had the Gunmakers Hall he was a ' Primitive' at heart and would freely impart everything he knew of guns to help budding gun makers I think he lived out West & worked in with a Gentleman name of Alexander (Not the Canadian one) both superb gun makers mostly English styles . We were once in a seminar & he mocked the English slightly naive style of dog & bird and bit of fence & cross eyed Lions engraved by men who had never seen a Lion . But I defended the style along with the X like overhead birds . Quite quaint and far from the Bank note stuff Lynton was capable of doing . But that was the style & I think it nice so defended it. Similarly Luis Sanchez did a talk on carving he was another Lynton always helpful I still have the drawing from one lecture of his or did.
Regards Rudyard

Back