• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying unknown sxs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron77

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Trying to help a friend identify an old sxs with no clear stamps or markings it does appear to have some engravings at some point but nothing but lines now rust may have claimed the markings. I looked on and under the barrel as well as the sides and butt plate. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 7
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    656.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230413_161925_01.jpeg
    IMG_20230413_161925_01.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    imagejpeg_1.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 0
Unless it’s a one in a million there will be proof marks under the barrel. Remove the barrels from the stock to find them. If it’s a bit rusty, give that area a good scrub down with some WD40 and a rag or dish scouring pad.

Last edited:
Unless it’s a one in a million there will be proof marks under the barrel. Remove the barrels from the stock to find them. If it’s a bit rusty, give that area a good scrub down with some WD40 and a rag or dish scouring pad.
Little white chalk or grease pencil will reveal markings. I use copper scouring wool and rem-oil for such. Don't use the scouring pads that have soap in them.

Little white chalk or grease pencil will reveal markings. I use copper scouring wool and rem-oil for such. Don't use the scouring pads that have soap in them.
I was leaning more towards the green plastic scotchbrite dish type scouring pads. I didn’t think of those steel wool types with the soap when I wrote that. You are correct.

Last edited:
Back