• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reyna2017

32 Cal
Reaction score
Been shooting black powder since 74 when I was 14. My first Black Powder gun was a 36 navy kit I got from Dixie for around 45 bucks. LIed about my age. I already had a 410 shotgun lived in the mountains of virginia, so my parents did not give me too much grief when they found out about the Navy 36. Bought my first pound of FF powder at the local gun store, (did not have 3f). Just walked up and bought it no questions. He had a big box of 36 balls at 3 cents each, I bought 100. I made a dipper out of a 30 carbine shell the gun store guy gave me. he said solder a wire to it, it is the perfect measure for a 36 navy. (19 to 20 Grains) Tried to sell me grease and wads. Main concern is flash around. All chambers firing. Make sure the lead shaves when I load the ball. Read in guns and ammo that Skeeter Skelton never used wads or black powder grease in his black powder revolvers. Just make sure the balls shave(leave a lead ring) Used his wife's Crisco to protect against flash around. Polished my kit with my dad's drill sander and fine grit wheels. polished by hand with 400 grit, and brillo pads. The blue I did made it look antique. Very accurate, but slow as heck to load. after 18 to 20 rounds had to brush it out in the field, to get the crusty burnt powder out. Killed a sitting rabbit at 20 yards, the ball went thru his shoulder, exactly where I aimed. Have not been in the hobby for about 20 years. Now I retired taking it up again. Recently I got a Pietta pepper box. I like it, it's fun but inaccurate. I will be experimenting with different loads like 3 balls in one chamber and bird shot. I will let you know how it goes and make a You Tube movie.

Howdy and welcome.Good luck in your ventures.Let us know when you get a black powder flintlock rifle.NY GRIZ

Back