• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello guys.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayman

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I'm Chris. I came across yall while doing a search on "what every day items did people carry in the 1800"s. I didn't come up with much, but I found yall. You guys seem to be more of a reenactor/living history type crowed, and i thought you guys could maybe help me ask better questions in order to find what im looking for. I don't reenact, and while i enjoy watching i just cant commit to what that activity requires. What I am interested in is peoples day to day. What was in a guys pocket when he went to work in the 1800's. That's been interesting. From the dark ages to current time it seems to me a simple comb has been one of those things that was always in a persons possession. that and a knife of some sort. at this point, I'm just fascinated by this weird stuff. I look forward to asking questions and tossing an opinion or two out there. Take care all.

Howdy from Texas! I'm not one of the HC/PC crowd but there are plenty of knowledgable folks around. I can certainly relate to your line questioning. What I find most interesting is the perspective that people living in the time of the muzzleloader were in possession of the high-tech of the day just like many of us today carry iPhones.

Welcome from WV! I'm just getting into reenactment so my knowledge is slight on that, I'll leave it up to someone more experienced.

Welcome to the Forum, Grayman. You will fit right in.

The answer to your question might depend on where your man is working (factory, mine, farm, store etc.), and what period in the 1800s he is in. So he might have a Barlow knife or a stiletto, a caplock derringer or a Merwin Hulbert .44 revolver, a pocket watch, a few coins...not that simple a question.

Richard/Grumpa

Last edited:
Hello. I'm Chris. I came across yall while doing a search on "what every day items did people carry in the 1800"s. I didn't come up with much, but I found yall. You guys seem to be more of a reenactor/living history type crowed, and i thought you guys could maybe help me ask better questions in order to find what im looking for. I don't reenact, and while i enjoy watching i just cant commit to what that activity requires. What I am interested in is peoples day to day. What was in a guys pocket when he went to work in the 1800's. That's been interesting. From the dark ages to current time it seems to me a simple comb has been one of those things that was always in a persons possession. that and a knife of some sort. at this point, I'm just fascinated by this weird stuff. I look forward to asking questions and tossing an opinion or two out there. Take care all.
Their certainly is alot of reenactors and impressionist but I think just as many people like us who are more interested in the living history of it. I'm former military so I know my way around big black plastic guns but they're nothing like the guns of old. They had style and artistry.

Underhammer pistols were relatively inexpensive and common until mfg stopped in 1837 due the bank depression at that time. Pepperbox revolvers by Allen & Thurber, Blunt & Syms &c were cheaper than Colts and widely carried. It is hard for todays collector to find a pepperbox that doesn't show signs of being carried a lot. After Mr. Lincolns war many designs of percussion and cartridge derringers became available. Bowie knives were prized for Always Being Loaded.

Welcome.

Their certainly is alot of reenactors and impressionist but I think just as many people like us who are more interested in the living history of it. I'm former military so I know my way around big black plastic guns but they're nothing like the guns of old. They had style and artistry.

Agree. I challenge one to find a practical example of a "bullet hose" from 1795, lol.

Welcome to the Forum, Grayman. You will fit right in.

The answer to your question might depend on where your man is working (factory, mine, farm, store etc.), and what period in the 1800s he is in. So he might have a Barlow knife or a stiletto, a caplock derringer or a Merwin Hulbert .44 revolver, a pocket watch, a few coins...not that simple a question.

Richard/Grumpa

The things I notice, especially from about 1940 (roughly) to the dark ages is some sort of small knife and a comb. I know it sounds pretty dumb but the comb seemed pretty valuable. I read somewhere, i can probably dig it up for yall that lice was a huge issue way back when, and the combs were nit combs. I cant say that true, but it makes sense to me. The Derringer makes allot of sense to, keeping in mind they weren't the tiny things we think about today. Very usefull item to, aside from the self defense aspect. One could start a fire if needed, or signal a comrad.

Hello Chris,

These guys will try an give some input to your thoughts and questions.

What was in a guys pocket when he went to work in the 1800's. That's been interesting. From the dark ages to current time it seems to me a simple comb has been one of those things that was always in a persons possession.... a knife of some sort....., What else guys, lets see some input ....

I would think it would depend on the type of work this gentlemen did as to what was carried, office or factory workers would be different than those that worked outside.

Employed inside (factory, office, etc,): Comb, snuff, folding pocket knife, hankerchief, ?

Employed outside (labor, farm, woods, etc,): Comb, belt knife, folding pocket knife, hankerchief, chewing tobacco, ?

What else .......

.W

Latest posts

Back