• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from the Bluegrass State

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonTide

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My name is Joel. I grew up a football fan, and since the University of Kentucky is not what you might call a football powerhouse, I became an Alabama fan at an early age.

I enjoy reading and all things outdoors.

I have already posted a time or two and appreciate the willingness of the members to spread their knowledge.

Thanks,
CT

Welcome aboard Joel, Glad to have you in camp.Good Luck & Good Shootin' ROLL TIDE!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hi Joel and welcome to the forum! I've got several rendezvous friends living in Ky., some are transplanted from Wisconsin.

Welcome to the party, you hail from a place rich in ML history,hiope you enjoy the forum.

Joel,
Welcome to the MLF.Where is your
interest,as it pertains to B/P.Great to
have you with us.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Thank you for the welcome and the question.
My interest in black powder lies mainly with the sidelocks.

I am down to two at this time, a TC Hawken, in .50 caliber and a new aquisition, a .45 caliber TC Cherokee. I traded a .54 caliber TC Renegade for the Cherokee, but I am already starting to miss it.

I will admit to owning an evil inline, but it has never appealed to me. As a matter of fact, it puts me in mind of hunting with a compound bow with peep sights and mechanical release.

My son took his first BP deer with the inline, and immediately claimed the rifle for his own.

I enjoy hunting with modern centerfire rifles, with optics, but I see that season differently than muzzleloader season. I see my longbow filling the bill for me in archery season. I think deep down inside, I am a traditionalist.

I have never owned a flintlock, but am not opposed to one. I think one of my first orders of business will be to rescue my .54 caliber Renegade from my buddy's shop. I miss it more and more everytime I think about it.

I am also looking to go entirely to real black powder. I am finding it hard to locate in my immediate area though, so I will have to look into either placing an order or picking up a few pounds when I go to a larger venue.

I look forward to shooting PRB's out of my Cherokee, and hopefully if I can retrieve my .54, I want to shoot PRB's out of it too.

My .50 caliber shoots sabots and pure lead .429" SWC's another friend casts for me, very well, and I will probably leave it as is.

I do need to send the lock from that rifle back to TC though, it is jacked up somehow.

Welcome, I got family in northern Kentucky and I spent a summer there a few years back...I am trying to convince my girlfriend to move there when we're married but she's a true Cali girl, and loves her sunny beaches haha
It won't be long before you get the itch to flint. I just got my first flintlock and they are just so much fun! :thumbsup:

Hello CT and welcome aboard! :hatsoff:
Recognize your handle from another board I look at.
Be warned ,these BP guns are addicting!

What part of Ky are you in? I live in Northern Kenton County. I might be able to help you find some powder.
mrbortlein

Thank you sir! I am Somerset, about an hour or so, South of Lexington. I actually work in Harlan, and commute, so I don't do much driving around otherwise unless I have to.

CrimsonTide said:
My name is Joel. I grew up a football fan...

Welcome to the forum Joel. :hatsoff:

I never grew up... just ask my wife. :haha:

Sounds like you are a confirmed addict. You oughta try and get up to Friendship IN next June for the big NMLRA Spring Nationals. It's a good time. Tons to do and see.

Why not try some PRBs in that .50 too? You might be surprised. My .50 shoots a .490 ball in a .020 Ox-Yoke pre-lubed "sabot" purty good. :wink: Lots cheaper too = more bang for the buck. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back