• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Salmon, Idaho (Elmer Keith Country)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I enjoyed reading Elmer Keith in my younger years and employ his long range pistol aiming method with great effect to this day. The elevating front sight method also has relevance to long range BP rifle shooting. Two days ago I was able to hit a 12 X 18 field stone with a .44 unmentionable at 300 yards using his method.

Welcome! I am in south central Idaho. I hunt elk in your country during muzzleloader season and sometimes whitetail in the late short ragne season.

Welcome from the Bitterroot Valley. I lived in Idaho Falls in the 80's. A couple of my buddies decided to jump in the truck and drive the 150 miles to Salmon to visit Elmer Keith. They knocked on his door though they were a bit apprehensive - afraid Elmer might meet them with a 44 Mag and tell them to get off his property. It was not that way at all. Elmer invited them into his living room, got them coffee, and spent a couple hours visiting. They brought along copies of his books, and he happily autographed them.
Several years later, I was steelhead fishing with a friend from Salmon. He told me that there was a big funeral in town last week, some famous gun writer died. I knew right away it was Keith.

Welcome from Minnesota.

In 1980 as a vastly younger person I took a solo motorcycle trip to Oregon to see a high school buddy.

At one point I was less than 100 miles from Salmon and like an absolute moron didn't take the opportunity to see if Elmer was home. Dumb.

As I recall he hadhis stroke in 1982 a passed awan 1984.

Welcome from Arizona
Thanks, we lived in the Prescott area from 2016 to 2022......was nice living in the high desert for a while, but we missed having flowing rivers, streams and lakes hence the move north. Good to see AZ is getting some much needed moisture!!

Welcome from the Deep South. I still miss reading Elmer's articles. He was a major part of my early firearms learning curve.
Beautiful place where you live too.

New to this forum and relatively new to the muzzleloading community......
Currently own two percussion rifles.....one Pedersoli in .36 Cal and a fantastic custom built .40 Cal by Rudy Marek.
Also own a 1976 production Ruger Old Army (Stainless)

I am an avid shooter/collector/reloader of various firearms including S&W, Winchester, Marlin, U.S. Military and many more modern weapons.

Maybe some of you are in the Salmon area??

Keep your powder dry!!

Tom

(Photo below taken recently on the ranch we currently live on)

Howdy from North Texas and welcome to the forum. I'm born and bred on the Muddy Red.
I haven't mage it to Salmon, but hunted deer where Elmer Keith was born, in Hardin MO.

Latest posts

Back