• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

J.H. Dance And Brothers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdough

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just thought I would post a photo of my recently acquired Pietta Dance .36, SN C00013, never fired, one of 35 produced in 1996 as part of a special production run, commissioned by a Tony Gajewski. It was part of the large collection of Dr. James L. Davis who formed RPRCA (Replica Percussion Revolver Collector Association) in Claremore OK. Dr. Davis passed away last September, and most (or all) of this collection was sold to October Country in Idaho:

http://www.octobercountry.com/

OC is selling off the collection little by little and posts new items every Friday. (Note: I am not affiliated with OC or Davis.)

Below the photos is some information from Dr. Davis in 2010.

Dr. James L. Davis April 28, 2010

Many of those who share on the various forums may have seen the postings of my requests for information about various replicas that have been produced. One of these has been the Confederate replica of the Dance Brothers revolver which was originally made in Texas. After 15 yrs. of research into the replica revolvers that have been manufactured since the early 1950’s, I have finally been able to put together production numbers for all replica Dance revolvers that have been manufactured.

It turns out that the Pietta .36 cal. revolvers that were marked DANCE FIREARMS CO. - ANGLETON, TEXAS are the fewest in number at only 35 guns. These start with serial # C00001 and continue through # C00047. There were an additional 4 guns produced that are marked DANCE FIREARMS CO. - ANGLETON, TEXAS in .44 cal. with rebated cylinders, # C00048-C00051. The .44cal. revolvers were prototypes of a possible .44 cal. series. These were produced in 1996.

Pietta continued shipments of the .36 cal. Dance revolver that are only marked F.LLI PIETTA MADE IN ITALY on right side of the barrel. This was at about the same time that they discontinued the marking of any revolvers with anything other than their own name. These terminated with serial # C00127. All production of the Pietta Dance revolver in .36 cal. were discontinued with serial # C00127. This is a total production of only 75 revolvers. The only revolvers left are only available from Tony Gajewsky. These now sell for over $1000. I acquired one of these Pietta Dance revolvers off the internet recently. It is like new condition with serial # C00096. This is the only resale I have ever seen. These were also produced in 1996.

Pietta resumed production of the .44 cal. with 7 1/2" barrels and REBATED CYLINDERS with serial # C00128. This production was modified to the current STRAIGHT CYLINDERS and 8" barrel at around serial # C00233. There were only 105 Dance revolvers in .44 cal. made with rebated cylinders.

The Dance in Adler's book is the current .44 cal. available from Dixie and Traditions, which are made by Pietta. He does not even mention the original Uberti or Pietta .36 cal.

Uberti made 50 Dance Commemoratives with only 44 being accepted by Tony. They all have an AR prefix on the serial number starting with AR001 and have a Certificate of Authenticity with each gun. After the Commemoratives the "Shooter Model” was introduced starting with serial # 0001. These revolvers had plain cylinders and are marked SMLS INC ANGLETON TEXAS. These were all sold the first year they were introduced in 1985.

Uberti also made Dance .36 revolvers, but back in 1985. This was also part of the Davis collection, SN 0003 and 0004:

Regards,

Jim

Back