• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from NC.... Haven't shot my first one and already looking for a 2nd.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCGoober

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
Graduating from AK's, AR's, and C&R's to black powder.
Just received an 1860 Army 8" steel CH from MidwayUSA yesterday to set under the Christmas tree.

Since I had to buy all the misc acessories to run it I decided that I needed to think about some possible follow ons to spread out those costs. Uh huh.
Captain Schaeffer (Won't cost me anything since it's OOS everywhere and probably 5 years deep on the wait list)
Dragoon 3rd model
Pietta 1851 Marshal in the white.

Slixshot nipples in transit.
Track of the Wolf stuff also.

Only thing I'm missing is percussion caps.
Talk about unobtanium.

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction, from Mecklenburg County, NC! Have you checked out Academy Sports? The one near me has had a pretty ready supply of #11 CCI percussion caps. I haven’t been in a few weeks, but they had them previously and they were $5.99 per tin of a hundred.

‘Poet

Welcome from Fayetteville NC. Caps, #10 & #11, are in good supply at Boulevard Pawn Shop here for walk-in customers.

Being in Apex, you are about 30 minutes away from the Lafayette Long Rifles (Muzzleloading Gun Club).

Just start a conversation with me, and I can fill you in on the details, and other muzzleloading events here in the Tarheel State. They just got in a case of black powder for their members and guests that ordered it.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
NMLRA &
Member of the LLR

Ended up getting CCI #11 caps off of Gunbroker from the lowest cost provider of $20 per 100. LOL
Took the 1860 to the range and ran through 18 balls without issues.
During those 18 I had to replace 2 of the caps since they didn't ignite the Pyrodex.
Probably my fault in not setting caps down fully.
Seemed pretty accurate considering the fact that I'm not used to one hand shooting.
Settled in with using 25gr.
Had no cylinder lock ups with cap fragments.

The TC clear powder measuring device was a PITA for loading 6 chambers.
I'll need to get the brass flask type.

Welcome! You'll eventually get settled in on what works for you. Caps (and powder) are seeming to be somewhat thin on the ground around here too. If you're like me though, you'll eventually get to where you'll start wondering if those new fangled cartridge guns will ever catch on.

Welcome. You’re going to enjoy black powder a lot more than the modern semiautos. I’m not against semis, I have them like I have chainsaws and sledgehammers. Tools. Black powder is fun.

Back