• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Alaska

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter hawbaker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, new guy here, like the looks of this place ! I live in northern Alaska, above the Arctic Circle. Born and raised in Pennsylvania, where I discovered flintlocks due to Pennsylvanias flintlock only deer season. Moved to Alaska four years ago mainly to hunt critters not available in my home state. Love building, shooting and hunting with flinters, but hunt with modern arms as well.

Peter

Hi rok, welcome to the best blackpowder/muzzleloading forum on the net IMO. These guys have a lot of knowledge to share. How is the weather up there today? GBG

WOW! That is taking your passion for hunting to the extreme. Let us know about some of your adventures. Oh, and WELCOME!

Thanks guys, GBG, it is relatively warm (+5) and a bit breezy today, but I have a feeling another cold snap is on the way, we had -63 a couple weeks ago. Mazo, have been fortunate with the hunting up here, have got grizzly, black bear, moose, caribou, wolf, coyote, and muskox in the few years I have been here. Wish I could say I killed them with my flinters, but Alaskan hunting is not conducive to muzzleloader hunting as pretty much everywhere I hunt (and where I live) is off the road system and can't transport loose powder by plane.

Greetings! Where about are you hanging your hat in AK? There are several of us Alaskans that hang out on the forum and I'm sure you'll find much to share. I'm down in the banana belt now days but used to live outside of Fox and worked (with a fair amount of hunting & fishing breaks :grin: )throughout the Interior, North Slope, Seward Penninsula and SouthEast Panhandle.

I spent five months in Sitka, 6 months in Fairbanks, and 3 years in Fort Yukon, where I live now. I used to shoot in competitions back in PA, would like to get into that again here. I know that there are some shoots in the state, just haven't got involved in any yet.

Peter,
Welcome to the MLF. We are all looking
forward to your post. Trust me,you are living
a life I dreamed of as a teenager.I might know more about Alaska than any person that has never been there,and some that do.
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

welcome roklok.
I'm a Pennsylvania boy myself who did 4 years in Fairbanks.
Flew in and outta Fort Yukon several times.
you'll find lots of helpful folks here.
MeteorMan

Welcome to the forum, Roklok, I'm new too and I'm likin it a lot, hope you do too.
Jon

Welcome!

While I live in Los Anchorage, my job takes me all over this fine state, but not to your village.

Over the years Anchorage has been tough to get black powder in... the bush would be impossible.

Cheers,

David

welcome Roklok.. Wow what a place to live, allthough thats serious cold.Here in Brisbane
( OZ )it ranges from 30 to 110 on average per annum. but gets humid around xmas . Ive always maintained its easier to rug up than cool off.

Back