• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hearing protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan9201

36 Cal.
Reaction score
just wondering how many black powder shooters use some form of hearing protection?

p.s. i ued muffs for the range, plugs for my black powder shoots and nothing while hunting.

I never shoot anything without hearing protection. I have gone without at times in the past, but it isn't worth it. I am almost 50 and dad is 75. We both suffer from high frequency hearing loss from shooting, working on and riding motorcycles and rock music- that's me. Dad hasn't been able to hear a cricket in my lifetime.
I use some Twin-Sonic earplugs that I first bought in the mid '80s. Muffs seem to get in my way but the plugs fit so well I forget I have them in.

Jim

ear plugs always. Now! I do have some loss from the years and I am sure that shooting played a big part in that.

I wear them for target,not for hunting. Hearing damaged from 36yrs in shop.Just ask the wife. Dilly

The best muffs you can afford for the range.

Silicone plugs for woods walk.

The silicone plugs are incredible. I learned about them while tuning big diesel engines in very small boat engine rooms.

I wear plugs now but to many years without has caused considerable high frequency loss.

My high range is "shot" too. :shake: Shooting when young and working in a high noise enviroment did it. I always wear plugs or muffs at the range(prefer plugs), and nothing when hunting.
Hopefully I can slow down the hearing loss a bit.

I have some very mild hearing loss from sirens and my Harley, but I always wear either muffs or ear plugs at the range.

evan9201 said:
just wondering how many black powder shooters use some form of hearing protection?

p.s. i ued muffs for the range, plugs for my black powder shoots and nothing while hunting.
I always wear "eyes & ears" at the range, and "eyes" while hunting, but not ears.

Highest decible noise reduction rating is 30 DBs, and that is the industry rating of good quality closed cell compressable foam earplugs...excellent ear plugs...small, light, inexpensive, and provide outstanding ear protection

I have high frequency loss as well from farm tractors and many years of trap shooting, small engines at work, etc. Work protection muffs when shooting but werent of same quality as today. I wear ear plugs for range shooting and occasionally for hunting. I am considering some of the sound enhancement products in Cabelas that have high decibel blocking for gun shots etc. Has anyone tried them, and did they work for you?

I always wear plugs at the range or on a woodswalk.

I spent too many years running wood saws without wearing protection to risk losing any more hearing capacity now.

Salt

Even at the most rigid thread counter reenactment, no one says anything about wearing ear plugs. I have a pair of silicone ear plugs on linen thread lines that are attached to each hat that I might possibly wear to a shoot. That way all I have to do is lift my hat, pull out the ear plugs, stick them in my ears and shoot. When I am done I tuck them back into the hat and my outfit is authentic again.

Many Klatch

Flintlock58 said:
I am considering some of the sound enhancement products in Cabelas that have high decibel blocking for gun shots etc. Has anyone tried them, and did they work for you?

Don't delay they work wonderfully, although I dont have the "enhancing" ones I tried both kinds and opted for the ones that let you hear regular until something loud happens mostly because of cost. Its amazing how well they work.

Latest posts

Back