• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Hawkey/Plains Style Percussion Rifle with 2 Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hawkeye

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This rifle is from an estate & I am selling it for the heirs. Rifle doesn't have a single stamping anywhere, so I have no idea where or when it came into being. It looks like it was some kind of kit gun and the wood and metal finish look OK, but not outstanding. It has two barrels. One is 50 cal and is 35 inches long. The other is 62 cal, as near as I can tell, & is without the breech. My guess is they share the breech. The 50 cal bore is very clean and free of any pitting and the rifling is sharp. I estimate the twist is 66 from eyeballing the bore. The 62 cal condition is similar, but does have a couple of very minor bore pits. Its condition would not be of concern from a shooting or cleaning standpoint. I've seen new Lyman barrels that looked worse. The nipple is perfect. The lock is very nice and positive and the trigger both unset and set is among the best I've pulled. The rear sight on the 50 cal is a single leaf dovetail. The front sight is a brass dovetail that has been filed down for elevation adjustment. The 62 barrel has a single leaf semi-Buckhorn rear and silver front. Barrels and furniture are browned. Stock has no cracks or damage of any kind. It has some tiger stripe figure and has potential to be very pretty with the proper staining and finish. There is no rust or corrosion anywhere inside or out on this piece. The person who owned it knew what they were doing and took very good care of it. Blanket style gun sleeve included. Asking $300 OBO plus $40 shipping. Send me a personal message with your contact info and I will be glad to answer any questions. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Attachments

• bp.jpg
    bp.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 181
  • bp2.jpg
    bp2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 181
  • bp3.jpg
    bp3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 176
  • bp4.jpg
    bp4.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 176
  • bp5.jpg
    bp5.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 178
The rifle looks to me like it is a custom built gun. If it is, there won't be any markings on the barrel other than the barrel makers mark. A good builder puts any barrel marks on the underside of the barrel when he installs it. I might add, there are a few places that make barrels and they don't mark them at all. Not even with a company logo.

WOW!! I had 5 I'll take it's from 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM, so I figured the only fair thing to do is check with the first guy & work my way down the list. He took it. I want to thank every one for their offers. To azmtnman & zonie, there is not a single letter, number, or word stamped anywhere on this rifle, which I have never seen before. It's a pretty cool piece & my first instinct was to buy it, but I'm rifle poor as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back