• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawes, LA,Cal.. Remmie .44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampaJ

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found yesterday and it followed me home. No ser#. Proofs on cylinder,bbl and frame. Frame has XXVI besides the two other marks.One is PN under a round figure and other is a shield. Made in Italy. Almost new in condition except for dryfiring doing a number on the nipples. Can anyone fill me in on it? Nipples are shorter than the brass-framed .44 Colt(?) Navy that I thought I'd swap nipples with. Guess I'll get Dixie on the horn later. What can you tell me about this piece as well as nipples? GrampaJ in NC :idunno:

The XXVI indicates the gun was proof tested in 1970. The other marks you mention are the normal Italian proof marks.

Assuming you looked under the loading lever and didn't find any marking it's hard to say which Italian company made it beyond saying that Uberti and Pedersoli did not.

Thanks Zonie. No mark that I can make out except a 3 and another digit parallel to bore under the loading lever. :idunno: GrampaJ

I don't know who made the BP guns for Hawes, but I had a Western Marshal 44 mag they imported and it was made by J. P. Sauer and Sons--one half of Sig-Sauer. The darned thing held together when I had a factory overcharged round detonate during firing. The round's force bent the top-strap and frame but the cylinder held.A the bullet actually hit the target-or at least part of it did. Hawes seemed to import good guns.

.The Hawes Firearms Co of Van Nuys CA was a big importer of various types of firearms in the 1950's into the 1970's. They made nothing themselves, but imported guns from Italy, Spain, Japan, and Germany. Everything from cheap .25 pocket pistols to high quality .44 magnum revolvers and large bore flint pistols. Not everything Hawes put their name on is a good gun, they sold some cheap manure in the 70's, namely they were one of the outfits selling the Japanese made "Tower" flint pistols with the bad locks, and soft frizzens, I know this because I have one ( along with a much better one imported by another firm) I have heard of the Hawes cap and ball revolvers, but never encountered one in the flesh, they are said to be serviceable guns. Should make a good shooter.

Thanks Guys...Sounds like nipples will be a mattter of try and see which works best with CCI 'levens. Keep'em smokin' GrampaJ in NC.

Back