• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Having a brain fart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaver3365

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My first muzzleloader was a CVA squirrel in .32 flint. Got it for Christmas when I was 10. Have taken many bushy tails and groundhogs with it.
After 45+ yrs, I send it to Bob Hoyt and had it rebored and rifled to .40 cal.
He did a great job on it. My problem is that it's shooting about 6" high at 50 yards. Don't laugh at me but I can't remember the sighting procedure. It has and adjustable rear that's all the way down and tall fixed front. If I raise the rear, won't that bring impact down?

Raising the rear sight will put your point of aim even higher. You could file a bit of a notch in the rear sight if possible. Or maybe install a new, taller rear sight.
If the gun was shooting low, then it would be a easier fix by filing the front sight a bit.

Raising the rear sight will put your point of aim even higher. You could file a bit of a notch in the rear sight if possible. Or maybe install a new, taller rear sight.
If the gun was shooting low, then it would be a easier fix by filing the front sight a bit.
Ok, this is why I'm confused. If raising the rear site makes me shot higher, how would a taller rear sight be different?
Thanks for responding.

Difference in POI in inches x distance between sights in inches divided by distance to target in inches(50 yards=1800") = difference needed in front sight to move POI the needed distance. So if your sight radius is 26" you would need to get a front sight .086" higher than the one you have to lower your POI 6" with your rear sight as it is set now. When I run out of adjustment, I usually set my rear sight in the middle, shoot, then calculate what front site change I need. Install new front sight as close to the height I calculated as I can find & fine tune with rear sight.

I had a TC tree hawk that shot really high with the rear sight bottomed out. There are several places that sell front sights in different heights. I went with REALLY high, this worked perfectly and gave me a full range of rear sight adjustment but sure looked odd out on the end of the barrel.

Back