• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have both T/C 50 & T/C 54. Which would you choose for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recruit

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all...first post here.

I have a 54 cal T/C Hawken and a 50 cal T/C New Englander for deer hunting this year.

Wouldn't rule out non-round ball options but my preference would be round ball for simplicity and nostalgia sake. I'm also not fond of recoil :wink:

I primarily still hunt so carrying the lighter and slightly shorter New Englander all day certainly appeals more that toting the Hawken. Conversely, the 54 cal Hawken should theoretically put a deer down faster than the 50 cal New Englander assuming good shot placement for both and at the same velocity.

So, which would you choose and why? I don't think there is really a wrong answer here; just wanting to hear from those with more experience than I with round ball as my experience is well....none. I'm not a new shooter however.

As a side note, I have Goex FF powder plus .015 and .018 lubed patches on hand.

Either will kill 'em plenty ded.
Placement is the key.
I use a .45 with prb and 65 gr. real bp. They git jest as ded as when hit with a .54.
Placement is the key, I try for the heart as a lung only shot will let them run for a while.
Yer lucky to have a choice, pick one, use soft lead round ball, real bp and enjoy the hunt.

Rifleman said it;
Both will work fine.
Which one? The one you have worked with the most and shoot's the best group at your practiced range.
Get that?
The best rifle is one you have spent time shooting and found an accurate developed load for.
Kinda put's it back on you, doesn't it? :wink:

necchi said:
Rifleman said it;
Both will work fine.
Which one? The one you have worked with the most and shoot's the best group at your practiced range.
Get that?
The best rifle is one you have spent time shooting and found an accurate developed load for.
Kinda put's it back on you, doesn't it? :wink:
This!

I have both the .54 and .50 TC rifles. (Hawken and Renegade) and I use the .50 Hawken for hunting due to the fact I am most confident with that rifle.

Dead is dead. A .54 or a .50 or a .45 doesn't mater when you put a hole in the lungs and heart.

Most of my deer kills have been with a .45 flinter. A few even dropped DRT and none ran any distance to speak of. I have a new (to me) .50 flinter that I intend to use this year.

Hanshi's "hunting" favorites change from thread-to-thread it seems...

Practice with that .50.

use the one you have the most confidence in. practice and practice some more, but practice the way you hunt, not just off a bench. that said, i try hard to find a rest when im hunting, anything to make the firearm steady and more accurate. good luck to you. irishtoo

I have both a 45 and 54 cal smokepole and Both are very accurate. My 54 is actually lighter than the 45, so if I plan on sitting in one spot when I'm hunting I will take the 45 cal. but If I plan on stalking or going a long distance, I will take the lighter 54. Both will kill the deer dead, as long as my aim is true. :wink:

Thanks for the responses and comforting to hear that no one has mentioned the 50 cal PRB not being perfectly adequate.

Agreed that shot placement is key. Interesting I haven't shot either of these guns yet as they were just picked up recently. Will be getting to the range shortly to work up accurate loads for both. I suspect a favorite will emerge quickly.

that is key ... shoot shoot shoot. then go shooting some more.

that said I always go with the "goodcheer" attitude ... bigger is mostly better.

I have had awful good luck with a 80 grain charge [GOEX 2Fg powder] behind the 54 cal PRB. this is a powerhouse [not to say there is anytin wong wit da 50].

I like bigger bore guns, simply because the deer are less likely to run off after the shot.

I have killed a pile of deer with my .44, all ran 75 yards or more after the shot, leaving a sparse blood trail even with perfect placement.

I have killed a bunch of deer with my .54 as well, most were anchored on the spot.

as other has said, both will work and I doubt you could tell the difference.

I like .54's and have several.

I would pick the one that shoots the best groups.

Fleener

Back