• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hatfield rifle barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the hammer on halfcock or remove it. Remove the ramrod. Remove the tang bolt. Use a pin punch or small nail with the end flattened to drive out the barrel pins. Lift out the barrel. Sometimes the barrel fits tightly into the stock and may need a few bumps with the heel of your hand to get it loose. The forestock is thin and fragile without the barrel in it so do not use too much force when removing the barrel. When you have the barrel out of the stock, put the stock in a safe place so it doesn't get broken. Be sure to put all of your removed parts (tang bolt and barrel pins) in a ziplock bag and put them in a safe place so they don't get lost. When you replace the barrel pins, fit them in carefully and tap them in place carefully so you don't mar your stock. If they don't go in with a few taps, your stock is not lined up properly with the holes in the barrel wedges. You may have to press down on your barrel to seat it back into the stock or use a rubber mallet to tap on your muzzle to get the barrel to seat. Patience and finesse is the answer, you don't want to force anything or muscle things back into place.

I can not speak to all Hatfields. I believe mine to be one of the American made models as there are no proof marks or import stamps on the barrel. These guns were later produced in Italy by Pedersoli and are now their Frontier rifle and the Cabelas' Blueridge...I.I.R.C.

On mine, you would remove the ramrod and the screw going through the breech tang. Turn the rifle over so the barrel is on the bottom and you will notice that each of the ramrod pipes has a hole in it.

Inside each hole you will notice a screw head with a straight slot. It is important to make sure you have a screw driver that fits the slot as the slots are not deep and easily striped.

Remove the screws and the barrel will come out. Careful not to drop the ramrod pipes as they are now loose too.

Enjoy, J.D.

Do as J.D said and you will also have to remove the lock screw opposite the lock as it goes through the lug on the breech plug.

SC45-70

sc45-70 said:
Do as J.D said and you will also have to remove the lock screw opposite the lock as it goes through the lug on the breech plug.

SC45-70
Good catch. I forgot about the lock screw :doh: . You can tell how long it's been since mine's been apart.

Enjoy, J.D.

Back